• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Migrator: MySQL -> MariaDB: max key length is 767 bytes

morphme

New Pleskian
Hi there,

I just received a new ubuntu 18.04 VPS to migrate to from my old ubuntu 16.04 VPS.

I wanted to use the Plesk Migrator again, but received following issue in regards to databases and could not find any solution in this forum:

Failed to copy content of database 'xxDB'
Migration tools tried to perform operation in 3 attempts: Command execution failed on the local server with non-zero exit code.
command: mysql --defaults-file=/usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/20200115193111/target-server/my_localhost_xxDB.cnf -h localhost -P 3306 -uadmin xxDB < /usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/20200115193111/target-server/db-dumps/xxDB.sql
exit code: 1
stdout:
stderr: ERROR 1071 (42000) at line xxx: Specified key was too long; max key length is 767 bytes

I am at the point I registered that this might be an issue with the compability of MySQL (source Server) and MariaDB (destination Server).

But what is the fastest way to get it converted/fix etc. and the data migrated properly.

Thanks so much

The reason for this issue is the limitation on the key length in the current SQL version on the target server.
In MySQL 5.7 and upwards this limit has been increased to 3072 bytes.
The equivalent of MySQL 5.7 is MariaDB 10.2.

Upgrade MariaDB to the 10.2.X or MySQL to the 5.7.X version on the destination server by using instructions from this article:

How to upgrade MySQL 5.5 to 5.6/5.7 or MariaDB 5.5 to 10.0/10.1/10.2 on Linux

After upgrading MariaDB to 10.3 I could resync after dropping the faulty tables and everything seems to be transferred completly. Thank you!

Back