• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Mobile Subdomain m.domain.tld (CNAME) in Plesk

ManuelGDot

Basic Pleskian
This is more a "how it's supposed to be made" type of question - rather than "how is it done technically".

I want a subdomain for mobile devices:

m.domain.tld
is supposed to deliver the exact same website as domain.tld. I do not want to make a copy of that website.
(The programming of the website itself will recognize the mobile subdomain and act accordingly.)

Usually I would try to make m.domain.tld just as CNAME in my DNS and call it a day. However with Plesk and SSL involved, I fear this might not be too easy.

What is the "Plesk Way" of doing this?

Sidenote: I'm not using Plesk for DNS in this scenario, DNS is handled externally (Route 53 on AWS to be more precise).

It just dawned on me that NOT creating a subdomain in Plesk might be the answer on one hand - on the other I won't be able to handle SSL then.

Not sure I am following this. You'll either CNAME it in cases such as the mobile site being hosted by a third party, or you would create a subdomain in Plesk if you're hosting it locally.....

Not sure I am following this. You'll either CNAME it in cases such as the mobile site being hosted by a third party,

For some reason CNAME + no subdomain in Plesk gives me the Plesk server default page.

or you would create a subdomain in Plesk if you're hosting it locally.....
Making a Plesk-Subdomain would require to have a file copy of the website in the subdomain directory, wouldn't it?

How can I explain it?
I want m.domain.tld deliver the exact same website as domain.tld <- the website itself will decide via Request Variable how's it gonna react to the different domain.

So you're just basically wanting to forward the m subdomain to the root domain?

You could just create the m subdomain and drop an .htaccess file in there to redirect it.... I still don't understand the point If it's the same site....

Frame forwarding?
Code:
<html><head><title>Title of your webpage</title></head>
<frameset cols="*">
 <frame name="main" src="http://domain.com" scrolling="auto" noresize>
 <noframes>
 <body>
 Your browser does not support frames
 </body>
 </noframes>
</frameset>
</html>

We're going back to like 1980 now.....

You wanted to redirect to the main site while still showing m.domain.com. Frame forwarding. That is a solution.

You wanted to redirect to the main site while still showing m.domain.com. Frame forwarding. That is a solution.
I have never asked for a redirect. You're the one that continuously says "redirect". I want to deliver a website at 2 different domains. That is not a redirect.

Are we really nitpicking on the usage of the term redirect? How about Masked Forwarding? Sounds a bit fancier.

Here's an alternative;

Click Me

You not use a mobile dedicated URL but use a responsive website, SEO say thankyou

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Ok, once again in this amazing forum so-called experts wave around with their straw man arguments because they are technically unable to answer the question, instead they fall back to sarkasm, trying to make the OP look stupid and other "streetsmart schoolyard techniques" like 12-year-olds. OMG just plain pathetic.

Gonna contact the Plesk support about this now instead of wasting my time here - and I think I'm gonna do this from now on for most questions until someone realizes that moderation might be good idea around here.

You not use a mobile dedicated URL but use a responsive website, SEO say thankyou
If you'd read the original post you'd realized that this actually IS about a responsive website, just not in the basic approach of using media queries to shove around existing HTML - instead using a proven technique to deliver an actual dedicated mobile website, optimized only for mobile from the ground up - which you can do on the same URL but you gonna end up in a mess codewise. + Google will thank you for your m-subdomain if you're doing it right, trust me.

Back