• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue modsecurity_ctl failed: Failed to download comodo_free rule set

ahoi

Basic Pleskian
Hello everybody,

on a fresh Debian 10.9 setup with Plesk I am unable to install mod_security with free Comodo ruleset.

I am getting this error:

modsecurity_ctl failed: Failed to download comodo_free rule set

Logs at /var/log/plesk/install/modsecurity_ctl.log are telling me this:

Code:
---START modsecurity_ctl

ERROR:root:Error

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/plesk-9.0/modsecurity_get_comodo_ruleset/modsecurity_get_comodo_ruleset.py", line 99, in comodo_free

File "/usr/lib/plesk-9.0/modsecurity_get_comodo_ruleset/modsecurity_get_comodo_ruleset.py", line 72, in get_vendor_ruleset

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/__init__.py", line 71, in load

return loader.get_single_data()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/constructor.py", line 37, in get_single_data

node = self.get_single_node()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/composer.py", line 36, in get_single_node

document = self.compose_document()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/composer.py", line 58, in compose_document

self.get_event()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/parser.py", line 118, in get_event

self.current_event = self.state()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/parser.py", line 193, in parse_document_end

token = self.peek_token()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/scanner.py", line 128, in peek_token

self.fetch_more_tokens()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/scanner.py", line 220, in fetch_more_tokens

return self.fetch_value()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/scanner.py", line 576, in fetch_value

self.get_mark())

ScannerError: mapping values are not allowed here

in "<string>", line 39, column 26:

'allowLinker': true

^

active

STOP modsecurity_ctl

Anyone facing the same problem or having a solution for this?

Hello everybody,

on a fresh Debian 10.9 setup with Plesk I am unable to install mod_security with free Comodo ruleset.

I am getting this error:

Logs at /var/log/plesk/install/modsecurity_ctl.log are telling me this:

Code:
---START modsecurity_ctl

ERROR:root:Error

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/plesk-9.0/modsecurity_get_comodo_ruleset/modsecurity_get_comodo_ruleset.py", line 99, in comodo_free

File "/usr/lib/plesk-9.0/modsecurity_get_comodo_ruleset/modsecurity_get_comodo_ruleset.py", line 72, in get_vendor_ruleset

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/__init__.py", line 71, in load

return loader.get_single_data()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/constructor.py", line 37, in get_single_data

node = self.get_single_node()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/composer.py", line 36, in get_single_node

document = self.compose_document()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/composer.py", line 58, in compose_document

self.get_event()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/parser.py", line 118, in get_event

self.current_event = self.state()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/parser.py", line 193, in parse_document_end

token = self.peek_token()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/scanner.py", line 128, in peek_token

self.fetch_more_tokens()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/scanner.py", line 220, in fetch_more_tokens

return self.fetch_value()

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/yaml/scanner.py", line 576, in fetch_value

self.get_mark())

ScannerError: mapping values are not allowed here

in "<string>", line 39, column 26:

'allowLinker': true

^

active

STOP modsecurity_ctl

Anyone facing the same problem or having a solution for this?

Hello Ahai,
seems that I'm (or you're) not alone. Below I'll try to be as exactly as possible on what I did. The short version is: I tried to reinstall from scratch as you did and ended up in the same troubles. If I remember right, this problems started about 2 days ago. Thehave no advise anymore.

I just ordered a new virtual server about a week ago, installed Debian 10.9 (an image provided by provider) and Plesk and everything worked w/o any problems. I think it was 2 days ago when i noticed the message on the Plesk-Dashboard telling me the "mod_security" module could not be updated. While looking around I found the message "Failed to download comodo_free rule set". Not being an Liunx expert and thanks for your input where to find this logfile I have to agree that I have the exact same problem.
After some painful trials (ending up in non-responding webservers) I re-installed up from the scratch and the very first thing I already did before was folloing the "Advisor" and clicked "Switch on" at the suggestion telling to "Configure ModSecurity & Fail2ban". This worked fine in my inital installation (the one that was no mor responding in the end), but this time I immediately runt into the problem this thread ist about. May sequence as (the same way I did before troubles started):

1) Re-Install the system using the Debian image from the provider
2) Installed plesk using the "one-click-installer" command line
3) Wait until setup completes and login at the WebUI using the link that the installer told me to use for the first login
4) Open the "Advisor" following it's suggestion to "Configure ModSecurity & Fail2ban" by clicking "Switch On"
-> Two progress bars a appear, the lower tells "The components have been installed and enabled.", topped by another telling "An error occurred while enabling the Comodo ModSecurity (free) rule set. Please try again later."
5) Giving up and Enable WAF manually using the "Atomic Standard" rules set, which seems to have applied successfully (Tools & Utilities -> Web Application Firewall(ModSecuity) )
-> Trying to switch to "Comodo (free)" raises the error message "Failed to download comodo_free rule set".

Hope someone can help. Thanks
Regards, Willy.

the issue with Comodo ruleset has been fixed since today (2021-04-20).
also there is an additional fallback scheme has been implemented in Plesk to prevent such cases in the future. It will be available in the newest Obsidian version.

Yes, it seems to be fixed - the problem did not occur any more during the last days. IMO the issue can be marked as fixed.
@ahoi Do you agree? It ssems that I have no permission to set the issue to fixed? Maybe it must be done by the initator - i don't know...

the issue with Comodo ruleset has been fixed since today (2021-04-20).
also there is an additional fallback scheme has been implemented in Plesk to prevent such cases in the future. It will be available in the newest Obsidian version.
Still facing the issue on Ubuntu.
1619520010289.png

still not luck. download fails, switching rulesets doesn't help either. I switched to atomic corp free and can't switch back to comodo, since it first checks for an update and because it is not able to download, it fails. :(

Pretty old post but I still get this error on my Plesk Obsidian v18.0.60 Debian 10.

Any advices or should I open a new thread for this?

Back