• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs [Monitoring 360] Website link gets deformed/broken in notification mail

Kaspar

API expert
Plesk Guru
Username:

TITLE

[Monitoring 360] Website link gets deformed/broken in notification mail

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Any

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

When you've added a website to be monitored in Monitoring 360 you'll receive a notification when then website is down. In the (email) notification the result from the last check is shown. For example like this:
Code:
trying https://www.example.com...
[28] Timeout was reached (Resolving timed out after 3000 milliseconds)

Some email clients or apps, like Gmail webmail, automatically create links from URLs they recognize in text. So although the URL Example Domain isn't hardcoded as a link in the email, it becomes a link. (Which is useful, imo). But because the URL has three dots directly after it, the link get deformed/broken. Because the links becomes Example Domain. (with the dot added to the link). Which makes the link broken.

Now, this is of course is caused by poor URL recognition by the email client. However, better email formatting would prevent the link from getting rendered/recognized wrongly. For example if a space is used between the URL and the three dots. Like https://www.example.com .... Of when the link was actually hardcodes in the email message itself.

I've only tested this with Gmail webmail, but I suspect this issue might be present on other popular email clients as well.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1) Go to monitoring.platform360.io
2) Add a website for monitoring and have notification by email enabled
3) Make the website unreachable so you'll receive a notification (change DNS or something)
4) Observe the broken link

ACTUAL RESULT

Link is broken in notification

EXPECTED RESULT

No broken link (= happy receiver)

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

From the developer:

I was not able to reproduce the issue with Gmail (webmail and mobile clients) and Outlook (desktop client).
Anyway, the issue seems to be possible in some cases, so I have created the corresponding bug for it - MON-204

Back