• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Monitoring bandwidth of apache owned files

D

dotcommers

Problem monitoring bandwidth of apache owned files

Hi. forgive me if this topic has already been raised, I have searched for it, but found no relevant results.

When a file has the owner and group apache (for instance any file that is uploaded through a form), plesks bandwidth monitor (and webstats) do not monitor the bandwidth used by this file.

Some of these files do need to be owned by apache for scripts to work.

Are there any solutions that allow plesk to monitor bandwidth used by apache and include in the domains traffic screen?

Thanks.
Lyndon

just wondering:
does plesk not count the bandwidth towards files that are apache owned and apache grouped.. or just apache owned?

first though:
if the latter... then you could create a special directory (or similar) and then set the GID bit on that directory so any files created in that directory belong to the group of that directory.

second thought:
have the script write the file then change the owner/group of the file?

third thought:
have apache set the user/owner on file creation.. not too sure about this but i know samba does this..

dotcommers are you sure about that?

i was thinking that plesk bandwidth monitor works by looking to the apache logs... not the file owner...

same thing i was thinking but i thought i'd give him/her the benefit of the doubt.

We have clients with mambo installations, and document managers, these use forms to upload files, some of which are 20 MB.

when we look at the bandiwth used by our co-location providers, its much higher than plesk says.

Plesks figure is more like the webstats figure that is given.

I did download a file (Apache owned), through the website, about 40 times one day to see if this made a difference and the next day, the webstats showed no difference on that files bandwidth usage or hits to that file (it was listed in the total URL's section), and plesks bandwidth usage had changed by a similar amount.

I'm not 100% sure that it is not monitoring these files, but from what I did to test, it is very likely.

if there are any other suggestions (IE have I missed something obvious??? :eek:) I'd be glad to hear.

changing the owner of all files is not an option with some of the scripts.

many thanks

Lyndon

i've the reverse problem:

i've some big files 300mb+ that are higly downloaded...

but the provider switch report less then what plesk report...

this is what the DC support has replied to me:

6/12/2005 2:25:11 PM
WebTech
Dear Customer,

The way the MRTG bandwidth ussage works in our members area is that it monitors at the port level on the switch, thus the bandwidth ussage and graphs are correct as they monitor the port nothing else. You have also stated this with your stats program. However the plesk control panel is showing much more ussage. This is common in the plesk control panel and any other control panel as it uses the logs to generate the reports.

To explian this I will have to give you some rundown on how the stats are generated by the control panels as it uses the log files for each site to generate the stats. So for instance you have a 20 meg file that has been downloaded by 20 people. Now lets say only 5 of those people finish the full download of this file and the other 15 people only down load 5 megs. Now the log files only show the file being downloaded thus it would say 400 Megs has been downloaded when infact only 175 megs total has been downloaded. There really is not way around this as it is a problem with how the stats programs generate and gather there data through the log files.

I hope this clerify the way the logging is done for our MRTG and how the control panels generate the stats.

Thank you

Ev1 Servers Support.

I was thinking that plesk generate his usage stats by looking to the apache logs... and for apache logs a file owned by apache or owned by others doesn't make any difference..

Back