• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Move from CentOS to???....Debian??

Dave W

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.6 x86_64
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.50.2
Fun times ahead, thanks to IBM.

So it looks like theres no point in moving to Alma or Rocky or any other RHEL derived OS...

Any chance of an in place migration script from CentOS 7, Alma 8 to Debian?? :eek:...o_O

I would include Ubuntu, but if rhel can pull this stunt then Im sure Canonical are watching.

D.

For everyone who didn't know, this is what's going on right now:
"Impact of RHEL changes to AlmaLinux"

And Red Hat's response:

Plesk is planning an update of Plesk Migrator. Some improvements will probably become available by the end of 2023. Not sure about ETA yet, we do see some urgency in it though that this could get priority. We've also seen the news from Red Hat and are still researching and waiting on more statements from Alma and Rocky on that to determine what the best path will be for a migration.

@Dave W Centos 7 isn't included in that announcement though. It will still be EOL in 2024. Not worth staying on version 7 anyway now that you can upgrade from 7 to 8 using the Almalinux elevate script.

I hear you, but you can go from CentOS 7 to RHEL 7 inplace and get 4 more years of support. This seems to be what RHEL thinks will attract users/clients.

The issue is that RH wishes to disable AlmaLinux and Rocky along with, I assume, any other versions of CentOS like VZlinux, Oracle Linux etc as they are considered to be freeloaders by RH.

Back