• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Migration from Ubuntu to Rocky 9

gredmeo

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.34
Hello,
we have to migrate Plesk from Ubuntu to Rocky Linux, also for homogeneity of the virtualized enviroment.
I've already read this topic - (Rocky vs Alma), but I have different information of usage (lastly Rocky Linux seem more used than Alma Linux, 11% vs 8%).
Anyway, I've some questions:
1) Can we migrate Plesk from debian based distribution to RHEL based distribution? Or it could be a problem so the choice is Ubuntu 22.04 LTS?
2) Are there some particular problems with Rocky vs Alma Linux? We would use latest "9" distribution to avoid frequent migration.
3) The license could be locked with a disaster for customer or we can do the process smoothly, with a grace period where both are powered on with the same license?

Really important: we have many PHP versions, because customers are lazy to upgrade to newer version... any advice?

Thank you a lot!
Best regards

1) Can we migrate Plesk from debian based distribution to RHEL based distribution? Or it could be a problem so the choice is Ubuntu 22.04 LTS?
You can migrate from any Linux OS that Plesk supports to any other Linux OS that Plesk supports. That includes migration from Debian to AlmaLinux for example. If you are planning on using the Plesk Migrator for your migration, I recommended reading up on the limitations.

2) Are there some particular problems with Rocky vs Alma Linux? We would use latest "9" distribution to avoid frequent migration.
You'll find a list of supported OS'es by Plesk here: Software Requirements for Plesk Obsidian
Rocky Linux 9 currently isn't supported by Plesk, and probably won't be any time soon (if ever). So AlmaLinux 9 would be the recommended RHEL based distribution for Plesk. There are some limitations, which are explained here.

3) The license could be locked with a disaster for customer or we can do the process smoothly, with a grace period where both are powered on with the same license?
You can only use a license for a single server. For migration however, you can request a temporary license.

Really important: we have many PHP versions, because customers are lazy to upgrade to newer version... any advice?
Plesk only distributes PHP versions that are actively supported. If you wish, you can install/compile any other PHP version your self (at your own risk of course).

Last edited:
Back