• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

MSMTP Issue

MorrisC

Basic Pleskian
Since my mail server does not support TLS, therefore, I unchecked use secured encrypted connection.
When I tried to use forget password for a customer's password, I encountered a problem as below:

Dec 30 14:29:00 linuxpanel msmtp: host=xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx. tls=off auth=on user=[email protected] from=[email protected] recipients=[email protected] errormsg='cannot use a secure authentication method' exitcode=EX_UNAVAILABLE

*Since I am not using TLS nor SSL, therefore, that error message shall be related to the authentication method.

I then found the configuration file of msmtp location

/etc/msmtprc

change

"auth on"

to

"auth login"

and then it works.

However,

#DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE BECAUSE IT WAS GENERATED AUTOMATICALLY,
#SO ALL YOUR CHANGES WILL BE LOST THE NEXT TIME THE FILE IS GENERATED.

# MSMTP configuration file. See msmtp(1) for syntax.
# This file was generated by msmtpmng utility.

Last edited:
just to prevent future update or setting overwritten....i then modify
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/msmtpmng

change line 1257

LINE 1256 cat <<-EOT
LINE 1257 auth on
LINE 1258 user $opt_auth_user
LINE 1259 EOT

to

LINE 1256 cat <<-EOT
LINE 1257 auth login
LINE 1258 user $opt_auth_user
LINE 1259 EOT

hopefully future update will not change this....

so now my plesk can send out emails to customers when i create their account, or they can use forgot password.....yipee!

Last edited:
Further reading at

http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/doc/msmtp.html

The following user / password methods are supported:

• ‘PLAIN’
    Another simple plain text method (with base64 encoding) support by almost all servers.
  • ‘SCRAM-SHA-1’
    A method that avoids clear-text passwords.
  • ‘CRAM-MD5’
    An obsolete method that avoids clear-text passwords.
  • ‘DIGEST-MD5’
    An overcomplicated obsolete method that avoids clear-text passwords, but is not considered secure anymore.
  • ‘LOGIN’
    A non-standard clear-text method similar to (but worse than) PLAIN.
  • ‘NTLM’
    An obscure non-standard method that is now considered broken. It sometimes requires a special domain parameter passed via ntlmdomain. Do not use it.
make sure you use lower case value....you can choose either authentication method your external mail server support...but "on" does not seem to work with my mail server at all.

*on is automatically select the method

Back