• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Multiple Email

I thought I would jump back in... I am certain that the issue only happens when a users on my server sends mail, since I just got a report today of it happening to someone sending mail to an @aol.com email address. So, swakoo, what is the latest on your end? Is this the same for you? Also, our qmail is plesks variation, correct? I'm hesitant to use a qmail utility since I am not sure what they have modified.

Does plesk support fix these sorts of things??? I would almost rather pay a few dollars in support then break it myself. Server administration is not my area of expertise. I know enough to be dangerous.

Thanks all!

so far, after all the tweaks mentioned in this thread, the occurance has been lessen

but i still have some complaints once a while... but it has been quite since last thursday.. which is a first since may...

update: never count your chicken before they hatch... today i receive quite a bit of complaints.. damm..

we are finding it hard to find a good time to down the email server... since everyone live off it.

and have to document how to rebuild queue and give it a try.... hopefully all ok..

though my boss is considering switching to Plesk8... you think this is a good option?

guys, I have rebuilded the queue following PLESK KB.

It was good, till now. I just got word my users had their email sent out repeated. Damm.. didn't work.

What you guys reckon I can try. My boss wanna update PLESK to either 7.5.4 or 8.

I have download some queue repair tools from qmail.org but now... is it even queue problem?

anyone?

Originally posted by Swakoo
so far, after all the tweaks mentioned in this thread, the occurance has been lessen

but i still have some complaints once a while... but it has been quite since last thursday.. which is a first since may...

update: never count your chicken before they hatch... today i receive quite a bit of complaints.. damm..

we are finding it hard to find a good time to down the email server... since everyone live off it.

and have to document how to rebuild queue and give it a try.... hopefully all ok..

though my boss is considering switching to Plesk8... you think this is a good option?
Personally I would never think about doing a major version upgrade if there is already existing problems with the server. But if you do, make sure you have a verified good complete server backup before starting, that way if it gets worse, you have a quick and easy way to recover.

hmm your point noted. but what else you guys think i can try. is there just no explanation for such repeated email problems. been looking around the net, came across a few similiar cases but also with no solutions.

Hi guys,

I have been doing some search and was thinking is it possible that a restart of the qmail-send daemon that is causing the problem?

So i do a check, and realise my qmHandle is running every 10 minutes clearing mails that have its subject as "failure notice". and i do know the sciprt has problem finding the process sometimes and thus cannot start/stop service properly. so i removed it.

I also switch concurrencyremote back to 20 (was 250), and queuelifetime to 7 days (was 1 day)

now awaiting to see if any changes/improvement to situation.

I got this idea after discussing with a friend and reading http://groups.google.com.sg/group/l...+multiple+mails&rnum=6&hl=en#017fb4842a99675d

But one question lingers in my head:
I was told when an email server send out an email, it will wait to receive a NAK (Negative Acknowledgement) or something, to know whether the mail was send over successfully. I am now thinking... could it be because it didn't receive that or couldn't receive that in time? its in conjunction to my current pronogsis of the problem...

if that is so... and there's really such a setting (NAK).. my question is.. am I able to tweak qmail such that it will ignore the NAK and just move on. rather than wait for it to decide whether or not to re-send. the multiple email problem is hitting the roof, and now we just want to stop it first...

anyone?

Interestingly enough, until this week, none of my servers has ever had this problem. Until the last few days. For no apparent reason, my own account began to receive duplicate emails. They were all from cronjob status, turns out it was due to stuck processes. Once I got rid of those the problem went away.

If qmHandle is sometimes not able to stop/start the Qmail process, then I would think that could cause a problem. Or if the Qmail smtpd process were restarted while it was waiting for the remote server's ACK, and does not get it, then it would have to assume the message delivery failed and would try delivery again.

I turned of the qmHandle cron a couple of weeks ago and since then, I have not had any reports of this happening. I have my fingers crossed, just like Swakoo. :)

finaly light at the end of the tunnel, i hope hahaha

but today's log has been very clean, must lesser errors....

so far so good. crossing my fingers too

I had this same problem with duplicate e-mails in Plesk 8.1 . I also had qmhandle running from a cron to regularly deleted updeliverable messages from the que. I've removed the cron job and I'm waiting to see if the duplicates stop appearing.

Back