• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Multiple usernames and passwords question

T

talesa

Am I correct in understanding that my client will need to have at least 3 usernames/passwords to utilize the various features in Plesk?

One for Client Control Panel
One for FTP access
One for Email

And if they want to change their passwords they will have to do it in 3 places?

Is there a way to simplify this for clients who consist of a single user?

Trevor Johnston

From the standpoint of the Control Panel, this is essentially true. From a security standpoint, this is a good thing. It may seem inconvenient for your client, but often the client thinks any security is a hassle.

I have been able to use the same username and password for all 3 (client login, domain/ftp, email name), but since they are stored separately in the psa database, if you want to change the password, you have to change them from 3 different screens since they are actually used for 3 different scenarios/functions.

Note: This also means that when that username is used to login to the control panel, it will always login to the client admin screen since that is the highest function (ie. no way to login to the CP specifically to just the mail user screen or domain admin screen)

Note2: I only did this as a test, since it really is a silly thing to do from a security standpoint, even if it is a single user client/domain user/mail user. (IMO)

Note3: When I have a client who absolutely insists on having everything 'his way', I switch him to his own dedicated server (at a higher price) either unmanaged, or managed (more $$). Afterall, if they insist on having potential future problems, then they will have to pay the price. And then the only risk is to their own domain(s), not other shared domains on a shared hosting box. (again IMO)

Thanks, that's helpful.

Here's another reply I was given:

That is 3 different usernames/passwords. Clients do not have to have 3 usernames/
passwords. They can have only username/password for Control Panel if they do not have
phisical hosting and Email. Or they can have 2 usernames/passwords:
for Control Panel
and FTP access(hosting) / Email, they have only FTP access(hosting) or only Email.

There is no a way in Plesk to set one usernames/passwords for accounts on different
services.
You can achieve it only through Plesk creation utilities:
/usr/local/psa/bin/

domain.sh -- for hosting (FTP)
mail.sh -- for Email
client.sh -- for clients

use '--help' option for more information.

Back