• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mutiple FTP ports possible?

smithxx

New Pleskian
Is it possible to have mutiple FTP ports open in one web space?

The issue I have is that in my private network I use port forwarding but I have multiple devices that need to FTP up to the server. I already use port 21 for my workstation so port 21 is used up and I need to use different FTP ports for these different devices.

What is the best way to do this? Run additional FTP applications such as pure-ftp and run them on different ports? I saw the thread on changing the FTP port but I want to keep FTP on port 21 as well.

Hm, I don't get the reason why you need different Ports. If you need different locations where to put the files you can define different users with different Home-Directories.

I have different devices in a private IP space behind an Internet gateway with port forwarding. Anything with port 21 coming in through the Internet is going to go to my workstation. Unless I get separate public IP's for each of the other devices they can't use 21 so I need toi use a different FTP port for each device. Then it can be routed to the proper device using port forwarding.

Oh, the FTP-Traffic is incoming. Sorry. I thought it is outgoing. So I would suggest that you not only forward the port. You also can change it. So you address for example the public address with port 31 and this port is forwarded to a device with port 21.

But what does this have to do with Plesk?

Using your example, how would I be able to connect to my server running Plesk on FTP port 31 while still allowing FTP over port 21?

I guess I still didn't got your question right. Please describe in more detail what you want to do. Where is the server? haht are the PCs in your private Network doing? Who is initiating the FTP?

The server running Plesk is out on the Internet at a datacenter. My devices are on a private network behind a gateway with a single fixed public IP address. The gateway has port forwarding and port 21 goes to my workstation. the devices have http servers on port 80 so i did port forwarding from port 81 which forwards to a device using a private ip on port 80 and that works ok. I want these devices to send files via FTP to the server running plesk.

So the devices on your private Network initiate the FTP and send the files? Is this correct? If yes, w're back at my first post.

My mistake, you are correct, it is working after all because the device initited the FTP and I can use 21.

thanks

Back