• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

MySQL Character Set and Collation

P

postman

I am importing databases from MySQL 3.2 to MySQL 5. When I create a database using Plesk it creates it as utf8 (Character Set) and utf8_general_ci(Collation) but when I create a database using PhpMyAdmin the database is created as latin1 (Character Set) and latin1_swedish_ci(Collation). The trouble comes when I import sql files into the utf8 database. I get an error "Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes".
I am able to solve this by converting the utf8_general_ci to latin1_swedish_ci and then doing the import again.
ALTER DATABASE `myDB` CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci;

However, I would like Plesk to default to creating the databases as latin1_swedish_ci but I don't know where to do this? Can anyone help with that?
Thanks in advance,
postman

Also try out commenting (or removing) the option '--compatible=mysql323' from all lines where it is found in the file: /usr/local/psa/PMM/agents/shared/Db/MysqlShellBackend.pm
and re-run the doman migration in Migration Manager from Plesk control panel. There are high chances this prob has been fixed in Plesk 8.3's migration manager (PMM).

Dear users.

Default MySQL character set is on both server the same: latin1. Im using Plesk 8.3.0.
But the PMM creates new databases as utf-8, not latin1. I got the same max key length message:
ERROR 1071 (42000) at line 295: Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes
When I create the database manually (by using the mysql-client) all goes fine.

Edit: I grepped utf8 in the PMM agents:
localhost:/usr/local/psa/PMM/agents/shared # grep -R "utf8" .
./Db/MysqlDbiBackend.pm:# 'name', 'user', 'password'[, 'host'][, 'socket'][, 'port'][, 'utf8names']
./Db/MysqlDbiBackend.pm: $self->{utf8names} = $params{utf8names} if defined $params{utf8names};
./Db/MysqlDbiBackend.pm: if ($self->{utf8names} && Db::MysqlUtils::doesSupportCharacterSets($self)) {
./Db/MysqlShellBackend.pm:# 'name', 'user', 'password'[, 'host'][, 'socket'][, 'port'][, 'preload_dirs'][, 'utf8names']
./Db/MysqlShellBackend.pm: $self->{utf8names} = $params{utf8names} if defined $params{utf8names};
./Db/MysqlShellBackend.pm: if ($self->{utf8names} && Db::MysqlUtils::doesSupportCharacterSets($self)) {
./Db/MysqlShellBackend.pm: $dumpoptions .= " --default-character-set=utf8 --set-charset" if $self->_mysql41OrNewer();
./Db/MysqlUtils.pm: return "SET character_set_results = 'utf8', character_set_server = 'utf8', character_set_connection = 'utf8', character_set_client = 'utf8'";
./Db/MysqlUtils.pm: return "SET NAMES utf8";
./agent.include.pl:sub utf8ToIdn {
./agent.include.pl: my ($utf8domain) = @_;
./agent.include.pl: return $utf8domain;
./agent.include.pl: if (open(IC, "echo '$utf8domain' | " . AgentConfig::idnconvBin() . " -in 'UTF-8' |")) {
./agent.include.pl: return $utf8domain;
Seems to be hardcoded. Or anavailable to set up in Plesk configuration frontend. I try to fix my problem by changing the $dumpoptions-variable.

Edit: No, I try nothing yet. Because this "problem" still exist when I create a database in the Plesk frontend. Database is UTF8. See:
Server version: 5.0.26
Protocol version: 10
Server characterset: latin1
Db characterset: utf8
Client characterset: latin1
Conn. characterset: latin1

Also try out commenting (or removing) the option '--compatible=mysql323' from all lines where it is found in the file: /usr/local/psa/PMM/agents/shared/Db/MysqlShellBackend.pm
and re-run the doman migration in Migration Manager from Plesk control panel. There are high chances this prob has been fixed in Plesk 8.3's migration manager (PMM).

I simply removed the <<<--default-charset=utf8>>> parameter, on that file (/usr/local/psa/PMM/agents/shared/Db/MysqlShellBackend.pm), and now migration manager is working just perfect. Hope that helps anyone.

Back