• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

mysterious bandwidth usage

F

faris

Two domains hosted in my server keep going over the bandwidth quota I've assigned to them. Both seem to go up by as much as 2Gb a day. There are absolutely no scripts installed on either domain. No php. No CGI. Nothing like that.

What both domains have in common is that they receive huge amounts of spam. In Plesk 7.1.4 I simply diverted all incoming email to a blackhole mailbox.

And indeed the huge bandwidth usage is smtp-related:

SMTP used=4 326.82 MB IN=4 326.82 MB OUT=0.00 MB

But am I reading this correctly? I seem to remember the IN and OUT in relation to SMTP isn't the way I expect it. So is the SMTP IN figure really the amount of received data (i.e. incoming emails?) If so then there's no mystery and all is OK. Its just the dammned spammers. But if not...any pointers?

In addition, now that I have 7.5.2 installed, I changed the email prefs of both domains to "Reject" instead of redirecting to the black hole. But the bandwidth is still going up. It is too early to say, but it still looks like at least half a gig a day is being consumed, which is better than up to 2Gb but still high.

Can anyone suggest what else I might do? Where can I start looking for more info?

Thanks,

Faris.

Back