• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Nameserver Set-up -- Which is Correct?

M

mediafiend

I have my client sites on a shared IP (1.1.1.1) and I'm setting up 2 IP addresses (2.2.2.2 and 3.3.3.3) for my company Nameservers. SWsoft's instructions (from what I understand) are roughly as follows:
1. create new domain for first nameserver without www (ie: ns1.mydomain.com)
2. add A and PTR records for this domain
A Record = 2.2.2.2
PTR = ns1.mydomain.com
3. create new domain for second nameserver without www (ie: ns2.mydomain.com)
4. add A and PTR records for this domain
A Record = 3.3.3.3
PTR = ns2.mydomain.com
5. Update nameservers with Registrar

Is this the correct way?

Other users have stated this method for setting up nameservers:
1. Create new (single) domain (ie: mydomain.com)
2. add A record for 2.2.2.2, then add A record for 3.3.3.3
3. Add NS record for ns1.mydomain.com, then add NS record for ns2.mydomain.com

Is one method more "correct"?

Also (I'm still trying to straighten this out in my head), do I need to keep any of the other records besides A and PTR for the nameservers? Will this resolve properly to sites on the shared IP (1.1.1.1)? Note: They are on the same server/domain account and have ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com listed with NS records under their individual DNS set-ups but do the nameservers need to "point" to the shared address (1.1.1.1) or is this part automatic? (I know nameservers need to be set with the registrar of each domain, but does anything need to be set within the nameserver's DNS itself?

I think everything your trying to do is automatic when you add a domain in plesk it builds the DNS records include the nameserver records. All you have to do it register the nameserver records that are created by plesk in DNS with your domain registrar and point the domain at your plesk server

there are many other ways to do this as well, here is a tutorial on using a third party DNS.

http://www.1and1faq.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46

Back