• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Nameservers, IPs and SSL

A

areiseek

I have a quick question to verify my understanding of nameservers & IPs before I make some changes to my machine.

My current set up (which is working fine thanks in part to what I've learned in this forum):

IP1 - shared - default SSL cert. - 40 domains
IP2 - exclusive - no SSL cert - my nameserver (ns1)
IP2 - exclusive - no SSL cert - my nameserver (ns2)

Now I need to add SSL cert's to 2 domains I have... does this work?

IP1 - shared - default SSL cert. - 38 domains
IP2 - exclusive - SSL cert1 - still my nameserver (ns1) - and domain#39
IP2 - exclusive - SSL cert2 - still my nameserver (ns2) - and domain#40

Will all domains still resolve correctly?

Thanks, Rick

Your domains will still resolve, BUT your certificates will not work properly. one IP to a certificate.

That said, there are ways to setup a shared certificate which you can find by doing a search on this forum. I understand from following some of the threads that it is a real pain. It would be easier to purchase another dedicated ip. (Just my opinion)

Thanks... not messing up domains that are already working is my primary concern, so I'm glad to see that part will be okay.

I guess I'm confused about the certificates. I thought it had to be one IP to a certificate. I was going to use IP2 for one new SSL certificate and IP3 for another new certificate.

One of the domains needs to have it's own certificate now, but the other one is for sharing between the other domains (as I have the time to experiment and make sure I know what I'm doing, I've have read about it here but want to proceed slowly)

I did request a dedicated IP from the company I rent my box from thinking that would be the safest way to proceed, but here's what they replied:

"Unfortunately, due to ARIN stipulations, we must deny your request. You have no sites hosted on two of your current IP's and the third IP is "shared" (therefore no SSL is applied). You must have SSL's on all three of your current IP's for us to allocate you an additional IP."

Don't know if that's true or not, but if an IP I already have can be assigned to a nameserver and also a domain and everything resolves correctly, then I guess I don't need an additional IP yet.

Many thanks, Rick

IP1 - shared - default SSL cert. - 38 domains
IP2 - exclusive - SSL cert1 - still my nameserver (ns1) - and domain#39
IP2 - exclusive - SSL cert2 - still my nameserver (ns2) - and domain#40

You listed IP2 twice. Guess that is where I was confused.
You must be using GoDaddy. They will not sell you another ip unless you have used all three already and two of those bust already be setup up as exclusive to a specific domain.

sorry, I see that now... If I'm going to ask a question, get the question right!

Right about GoDaddy, can't complain except their support has been useless to me... that's why I'm here.

So I guess I'm ready to start making changes.

Thank you very much -Rick

I have GoDaddy too and you are right, their tech support is "non-existent". If you are buying your certificates thru GoDaddy via StarTech, make sure they send you the CA file that is needed for Plesk.

Back