• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Need Help configuring server records for my domain

eggih

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.59
Hello,

As the title suggests, I need help configuring Records for my mail server.

My situation is as follows:

My domain, “mydomain.com”, is registered with Namecheap. I host my web and mail server at Strato and use Plesk Obsidian to manage my server.

Specifically, I need help setting up MX, A to ensure my email and web services are working properly. I have created a subdomain “mailbox.mydomain.com” with a SSL certificate for secure sending and receiving emails. My records currently look like this:

Hostname: mailbox.mydomain.com
IP: 123.456.78
Domain: mydomain.com

Type | Host | Value | TTL
A Record | * | 123.456.78 | Automatic
A Record | @ | 123.456.78 | Automatic
A Record | mailbox | 123.456.78 | Automatic
MX Record | @ | mailbox.mydomain.com. |10| Automatic
MX Record | mydomain.com | mailbox.mydomain.com. | 10 | Automatic

I get smtp warnings “Reverse DNS is not a valid hostname” when using the “MXToolBox checker”.

I stored the reverse DNS with Strato so that it points to my domain. Since the server is at Strato, I cannot make a separate “PTR” entry on Namecheap.

Could you please help me set the required DNS records to successfully configure my mail and web server?
I thank you in advance for your help!

Strato (your provider) would be the right place to configure your reverse DNS. No need to create a PTR record elsewhere. The reverse DNS should point to your servers host name. Is that mailbox.mydomain.com too?

You can do a public reverse DNS lookup with a tool like MXtoolbox to see if that returns the right hostname.

You domains DNS zone is fine. Just some pointers.
Code:
A Record | * | 123.456.78 | Automatic
This would a wildcard record. Which is not needed for email, but other then that it's fine.

Code:
This record doesn't make any. It is basically creates a record for mydomain.com.mydomain.com.

Strato (your provider) would be the right place to configure your reverse DNS. No need to create a PTR record elsewhere. The reverse DNS should point to your servers host name. Is that mailbox.mydomain.com too?

You can do a public reverse DNS lookup with a tool like MXtoolbox to see if that returns the right hostname.
Thanks for your quick reply.
I entered the top level domain "mydomain.com" as reverse DNS with my provider (Strato). Is that not right? Should i enter there my "mailbox.mydomain.com"?

Code:

This record doesn't make any. It is basically creates a record for [ICODE]mydomain.com.mydomain.com[/ICODE].

I had created the mx record according to instructions, which are then wrong?
  1. MX (Mail Exchange) Record:
    • This record specifies where emails sent to your domain should be delivered. Here's an example:
    • Copy code
      mydomain.com. MX 10 mailbox.mydomain.com.
    Replace "mydomain.com" with your actual domain name. This record tells mail servers that any emails sent to addresses at your domain should be routed to the server at "mailbox.mydomain.com." The priority value (10 in this example) specifies the order in which mail servers should attempt to deliver email if there are multiple MX records.
  2. A (Address) Record (optional):
    • If "mailbox.mydomain.com" doesn't already have an associated A record pointing to its IP address, you may need to create one:
      mailbox.mydomain.com. A [IP address of your mail server]
    Replace "[IP address of your mail server]" with the actual IP address of your mail server.
What should it be called correctly?

Thanks for help.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-26 092925.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-26 092925.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 1
okay, I set the reverse DNS to "mailbox.mydomain.com" and I don't get any error messages anymore. for REVERSE dns:
Now I only get two warnings, how can I turn them off?

Status Warning
dnsmydomain.comSOA Serial Number Format is Invalidinformation More Info
Status Warning
dnsmydomain.comSOA Expire Value out of recommended rangeinformation More Info

Good to read that you've solved the issue with your reverse DNS. You can ignore the warnings about the SOA number format and expire value. Those won't impact your domain or email.
I had created the mx record according to instructions, which are then wrong?

What should it be called correctly?
If the instructions specify to use that format then I would follow those instructions (and ignore what I posted).

Last edited:
Good to read that you've solved the issue with your reverse DNS. You can ignore the warnings about the SOA number format and expire value. Those won't impact your domain or email.

If the instructions specify that to use that format then I would follow those instructions (and ignore what I posted).
Yes, many thanks for your help.

Back