• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Need help upgrading CentOS from 5 to 6 or 7

Cawe COy

New Pleskian
I need to upgrade my CentOS 5 to 6 or 7 in order to use TLSv1.2 that is required by new browsers and web technologies.

I've read that Plesk doesn't support Operational System major updates, but I need to do it anyways... so how to do it properly?

I guess I will need to reinstall Plesk. How to do it, migrate every Plesk data and functionality to the new environment, and so on?

Just install Plesk on new server with CentOS 7 and migrate your old server to new. Dist-upgrade for CentOS7 is really do not supported in the scope of Plesk. You can try to perform it only on your own risk.

As I know, is not possible to upgrade CentOS from one major version to another.
I agree with IgorG, a migration is the best way.

I've done a 6 -> 7 update, but with CentOS 5 - you're looking at A LOT of old packages. (PHP4 for example) You'll likely run into numerous issues with legacy applications. A new server with CentOS 7 would be best. This would allow you to migrate and test everything out before making it live. If you end up attempting it anyways, you're looking at a sleepless night - I guarantee it.

Back