• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Need help with configure of dynamic virtual host subdomain creation

cipcip

Basic Pleskian
Hello guys,

I changed my host and everything I had on the old one, I replicated to the new one and it does not work. Maybe I am missing something ?!
I have a dedicated server that is using plesk as a control panel. The old one was a cloud vps using webuzo as a control panel

What I did:
  1. In plesk I went to that specific domain and changed the Apache & nginx settings to add the virtual host, like so:

Code:
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName example.com
ServerAlias *.example.com
UseCanonicalName Off
</VirtualHost>

2. I add the *.example.com A record in my domain control panel

3. My htaccess looks like so (although it worked on the last server, so I assume everything is ok)

Code:
<Files .htaccess>
order allow,deny
deny from all
</Files>

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^login$ login.php
RewriteRule ^/?edit/([^/.]+)$ ./edit.php?url=$1
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(.*).example.com
RewriteRule .* view.php?url=%1 [L,NC,QSA]
</IfModule>

I know that the question is not necessarily Plesk related, but I am struggling for days and couldn't find an answer :(

Thank you,
Cristian

1. In plesk I went to that specific domain and changed the Apache & nginx settings to add the virtual host, like so:

Code:
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName example.com
ServerAlias *.example.com
UseCanonicalName Off
</VirtualHost>
You've said you went to the specific domain, so I assume you have added the domain through Plesk GUI? If so, the example.com should simply work, if the DNS has been correctly set up and has propagated. There is no need to manually add anything under Apache & Nginx settings, just remove the above.

Refer to the documentation:

Adding and Removing Domains

Adding Wildcard Subdomains (linux)

Thank you @Ales for the pointers.
Creating a wildcard subdomain did the trick. I cannot believe that the answer was this easy and I banged my head for days trying to figure this out.

Back