• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

New OS questions

T

TheMatrix

Hello-

I'm getting a new server, the first that I actually have a choice as to what OS to run.

The company I'm getting it with offers:

RH 9
FreeBSD 4.x
FreeBSD 5.x
Debian
CentOS

I'd go with CentOS, but they say it isn't officically compatible with Plesk, and therefore they won't offer any support for it.

RH9. This is a "dead" OS, so that's out of the question.

Debian. I don't think Plesk officially supports that yet either.

FreeBSD 5.x. As far as I can tell, this is the best option out of the bunch. But things like yum won't work on it, correct? Is there any package system at all for FreeBSD, or must everything be done manually?

If you Plesk pros out there had to choose between these OSes, which would you choose and why?

Thanks.

TM

Search the forums ... there's at least 20 threads from the last year about this.

I did search before, and I found many posts about problems with FreeBSD, as well as posts saying CentOS isn't officially supported by Plesk, and nor is Debian.

Since I don't want to use RH9, I guess my only option is FreeBSD 5.x. My only concern then is, how will I deal with this referenced in something like this: http://www.grafxsoftware.com/util/PLESK-HOWTO.txt if I'm unable to use yum?

Or I incorrect in my understanding that yum doesn't work on FreeBSD?

TM

CentOS3 works fine with Plesk despite not being officially supported yet. Updater doesn't work, but you can use RPM's or Yum without any problems.

Back