• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue new SRV records cannot be found in MX Toolbox for testing and verification.

Frank Palaia

New Pleskian
Good morning.

I have recently set up two new SRV records for a client who would like to begin using Microsoft mail. I believe that I have done this correctly, other than the fact that I cannot use the weights and priorities that Microsoft asks for, because the Plesk GUI does not provide them as an option. (I have attached two screen shots). I can live with the less-than perfect weights and priorities, if it were to work anyway.

However, when I visit the MX Toolbox "Supertool" for testing, (Network Tools: DNS,IP,Email) enter in my domain, and select "SRV Lookup" in their pull-down, it says "DNS Record not found". I know the SRV record exists. Have I done something wrong, or am I missing something somewhere else in Plesk, that needs to be done in order to enable SRV records from the GUI?

fred@FredSRVrecord1.JPGSRVrecord2.JPG

Last edited:
Are you hosting this website on your own server or VPS? If so, how did you setup your DNS?

When I ran a DNS check for your website on mxtoolbox I noticed that the first two nameserver for your domain do not seem to resolve/work. Which makes me think there might be are problem with your DNS setup.

No. the DNS records are fine, and so are the SRV records. I found out what the problem was. MX toolbox does not clearly state how you're supposed to test SRV records. One might assume you could just enter in the domain name into the SRV field where MX toolbox has the placeholder text, "Look up anything...". So, I assumed that and entered bcyfibers.com. That's how you can test your A record in the DNS check. I'm not sure why you didn't see that working, as it works perfectly fine for me.

But you can't do that for SRV records. I've learned that you need to enter in your SRV record in a format such as this, for testing.

_sip._tls.bcyfibers.com.

If you test with that, the record tests successfully. There was no real problem here at all. It was just a matter of me not knowing what I had to do in MX toolbox, and perhaps they could document it a bit better on their site.

Thanks for offering some help!

Back