• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Newbie DNS Configuration Question

• Thread starter punjabipredator
  • Start date
P

punjabipredator

I am new to PLESK i changed from CPANEL

I just wanted to know if i have set up my DNS correctly in Plesk

I have set up two DNS Servers with the record type NS

ns1.mydomain.com.
ns2.mydomain.com.

I have set up the same DNS Servers with the record type A and gave it there ip addresses

I wanted to know if i have done everything correctly and also how do i share these nameservers for my clients?

Hi, to set plesk up as a DNS server do the following ...

1. Register the nameservers ns1 and ns2 via your domain registrar and enter 2 IP address's on your plesk server.

ns1.mydomain.com = 1.1.1.1 (replace with real ip)
ns2.mydomain.com = 1.1.1.2 (replace with real ip)

2. Still in your domain registrar control panel change the DNS servers of mydomain.com to ns1.mydomain.com & ns2.mydomain.com

3. Login to plesk and go to Server > DNS and make sure you have the following ...

<domain>.|NS|ns1.mydomain.com.
<domain>.|NS|ns2.mydomain.com.
<domain>.|NS|ns.<domain>.
<domain>.|A|<ip>
<domain>.|MX (10)|mail.<domain>.
<ip> / 24|PTR|<domain>.
ftp.<domain>.|CNAME|<domain>.
mail.<domain>.|A|<ip>
mssql.<domain>.|A|<ip>
ns.<domain>.|A|<ip>
sitebuilder.<domain>.|A|<ip>
webmail.<domain>.|A|<ip>

Note : The | are to show the seperate columns

4. Go to Add New Domain and add mydomain.com to the system.

5. Go to the mydomain.com and edit the DNS. Then add the following A records ...

ns1.mydomain.com.|A|1.1.1.1 (replace with real ip)
ns2.mydomain.com.|A|1.1.1.2 (replace with real ip)

This should be all you need to do to set your DNS server up. To setup a domain to use the new DNS server, do the following ...

1. In your registar control panel change the DNS servers for the domain to ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com

2. Add the domain in your plesk control panel.

Originally posted by renleon
Hi, to set plesk up as a DNS server do the following ...

1. Register the nameservers ns1 and ns2 via your domain registrar and enter 2 IP address's on your plesk server.

ns1.mydomain.com = 1.1.1.1 (replace with real ip)
ns2.mydomain.com = 1.1.1.2 (replace with real ip)

2. Still in your domain registrar control panel change the DNS servers of mydomain.com to ns1.mydomain.com & ns2.mydomain.com

3. Login to plesk and go to Server > DNS and make sure you have the following ...

<domain>.|NS|ns1.mydomain.com.
<domain>.|NS|ns2.mydomain.com.
<domain>.|NS|ns.<domain>.
<domain>.|A|<ip>
<domain>.|MX (10)|mail.<domain>.
<ip> / 24|PTR|<domain>.
ftp.<domain>.|CNAME|<domain>.
mail.<domain>.|A|<ip>
mssql.<domain>.|A|<ip>
ns.<domain>.|A|<ip>
sitebuilder.<domain>.|A|<ip>
webmail.<domain>.|A|<ip>

Note : The | are to show the seperate columns

4. Go to Add New Domain and add mydomain.com to the system.

5. Go to the mydomain.com and edit the DNS. Then add the following A records ...

ns1.mydomain.com.|A|1.1.1.1 (replace with real ip)
ns2.mydomain.com.|A|1.1.1.2 (replace with real ip)

This should be all you need to do to set your DNS server up. To setup a domain to use the new DNS server, do the following ...

1. In your registar control panel change the DNS servers for the domain to ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com

2. Add the domain in your plesk control panel.

Do i have to replace my domain with the <domain> ?

Step 3 is different for me i have the following setup

<domain>. NS ns1.mydomain.com.
<domain>. NS ns2.mydomain.com.
<domain>. A <ip>
<domain>. MX (10) mail.<domain>.
<ip> / 24 PTR <domain>.
ftp.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.
mail.<domain>. A <ip>
ns.<domain>. A <ip>
ns1.mydomain.com.<domain>. A IP ADDRESS
ns2.mydomain.com.<domain>. A IP ADDRESS
webmail.<domain>. A <ip>

Which one is right your way or my way?

How do i do the following? 4. Go to Add New Domain and add mydomain.com to the system.

Sorry about the questions i am new to this i moved from cPANEL so kind of finding weird and difficult since its my first time using PLESK. Thank You.

You just need to change mydomain.com ro your real domain. Everywhere that has <domain>. needs to stay like that.

What you have for your DNS will work fine.

To add a new domain go to Client in the left column, select your default account (if you dont have one yet you will need to add a client). When you have a client selected you will see an option for Add New Domain.

You need to add mydomain.com to the system. You can skip step 5 because your DNS doesnt need this to be done.

http://www.demodemo.com/tutorials_plesk75w.html

The above link will take you to a site which has lots of flash videos tutorials. They show you how to add domains, email boxes etc. If your new to plesk you should watch them.

Thank You for your help.

I have a few more questions and that will be it.

The client accounts are basically for the reseller account? The non client accounts are the non reseller accounts?

When i add a client account i have to choose ip addresses can i use the same as my nameserver ip addresses? How many should i use per client account? Can i also share the same ip address with another client?

How do i log in to PLESK from a domain name for example to log in cpanel we used to use www.mydomain.com/cpanel What would be the url to log in to PLESK?

Thank you for your help once again.

Yes a client account is basically a reseller account.

You can use the same IP address, you can also use the IP for multiple clients.

To login as the client, you use same place as normal but use the clients login details.

To login as the domain user (only have access to a single domain), first go to the domain and select the Domain User option. You then specify what privledges you want to give the user and assign a password.

The domain user can then login in the same place as yourself or the useraccount. The username is the domain name (eg. domain.com) and the password you set in the Domain User section.

How do i log in to PLESK from a domain name for example to log in cpanel we used to use www.mydomain.com/cpanel What would be the url to log in to PLESK?

How do i get into the login screen for PLESK?

Back