• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Newbie Question - How to view multiple domains

Q

Quack!

I'm just starting with Plesk and have never managed a server so I'm a bit lost in general.

I have 5 domains and clearly see how to add them all, but when view a test page in the browswer, I get the default site.

My question is what; is the url for the other domains? How can I check them through a browser before I point the DNS?
Thanks in advance.

in plesk, click the domain you want to see and then there's a button to preview the site. This isn't really like opening it in a server so asp or php or script driven stuff might not look right. But at least you can see that it's there.

Thanks MBAngel but what I'm really not sure of is how to point the DNS servers to the appropriate site.

I can see the option to view the sites but how does the DNS server know where to go?

well, depending on how ya did it... Plesk makes a dns file when you make the web site. When you point the name servers (at your registrar) at your plesk server, they find it...

I'm still pretty new to this pleck thing too... there's an entry you have to make in the dns settings for the domain for the nameservers... when I figure that one out, I'll post it, lol

When you click the preview thing, plesk just makes a temporary link to the folder so you can see....

This post http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34443
and this post http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35701
have been helpful to me...

Well, that all makes sense now! It's the magic of technology at work udner the hood :)

I like the Plesk interface and that explains why there seems to be this 'one thing missing'.

I didn't move to the new server yet but now I feel comfortable about doing it.

Thanks much and please let me know if you learn more.

Qvack! (that's a Swedish duck)

I did just learn more. Woohoo!

I have multiple plesk servers, and I'm trying to use one set of nameservers for over 50 domains. I found out that for each domain name to be answered I have to edit the default settings for the server.

in the plesk control panel...
Click server, go to dns, remove the ns record there (which makes the pointer ns.yourdomain.com) and add in one each for your name servers that your registrar has. (This is for if all your domains have the same set of name servers)

If you already have domains set up (like I do) then go into each domain and "reset it" to the New defaults you just made. in other words, if your name server isn't named like it is by plesk default, you have to tell it the real answer. If all your domains have different name servers, then yer stuck editing each domain and adding the correct name servers.

To see what your dns records are... click the domain you want to look at, and then click dns. That shows you the records plesk made when it created the domain. You can add or delete here at will (be careful, know what yer deleting) IF you mess up, go back to defaults^^ (Gotta love that)

Thanks much!

(It's interesting that in the vendors forum it takes a week to get an answer on that and then the answer is from another new forum member. Hmmm.)

Thanks again.

Back