• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Nginx error failed - Can not start proxy server

Fx17

New Pleskian
Hello, I have a recurring malfunction of Nginx on several of my production servers.

After installation of Plesk Onyx v17.0.17 on Debian 8.7 (Jessie), I can not launch the "Reverse Proxy Server (Nginx)" service and I get the following error systematically:

Unable to manage service by nginxmng: ('start', 'nginx'). Error: [2017-02-28 10:06:14] ERR [util_exec] proc_close() failed ['/opt/psa/admin/bin/nginx_control' '--start'] with exit code [1] Can not start proxy server:

Screenshot: https://goo.gl/Ij7eYC

Do you have a solution for me?
Thank you in advance,

In order to find out more about the cause, please login via SSH to your Linux console and look into these log files:
/var/log/messages
/var/log/syslog
/var/log/nginx/error.log

You can try this command, too:
# nginx -t
It will test the configuration files and list errors. (Omit the "#", that is only a prompt sign.)

Nginx cannot bind to port 80. This is the case when another service like Apache is binding to port 80. Check which service that is with
# netstat -plnt | grep ':80'

If it is Apache, then try these steps to auto-correct the issue:
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/nginxmng -d
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/nginxmng -e
This will reconfigure all Apache and Nginx web server configuration files, hence set the Apache configuraton to ports 7080 and 7081.

If the problem persists afterwards, you must find out, in which file Apache is still binding to port 80. It must then be a custom file that was added, e.g. in /etc/httpd or a subdirectory of that path.

To order: # netstat -plnt | grep ':80'
I get the answer: tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2343/portsentry

Problem solved !
Apparently, I had a bad configuration and a conflict with the service "PortSentry"!
Thank you for your help, Peter!

Thank you so much for this. It took a while of searching around on the internet but this solved my problem.

Back