• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Nginx only mode impossible ???

Igo

New Pleskian
Plesk Onix Nginx Only mode
Please someone explain me how this possible ???
this is settings for domain ( no special proxy settings in virtual host configuration)

nginx.jpg php.jpg

in apache logs have found next log
apache.jpg

what i must switch off to do not proxy requests to apache ???

I myself always use nginx as standalone webserver. What I always do is just turn off proxy mode and use FPM application served by nginx. I also turn off "serve static files directly by nginx" and "smart static file processing" - although its may not relevant anymore after we turn of Proxy mode.

And I'm sure its won't use Apache because even I removed htaccess file my websites still running fine. All of them are Drupal sites, which depend heavily on htaccess settings (clean URLs, security etc).

FYI, I also have nginx custom template in /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/templates/custom/domain/nginxDomainVirtualHost.php so I dont have to edit every sites conf everytime I add site. But ofcourse it is not related to your first question.

I hope Plesk will have a PURE nginx only version, so we dont have to turn off proxy mode, smart static etc everytime I add site. I ever read that Igor said that Plesk will have PURE nginx version but until now its not happened.

I dont know why Apache still preferred, nginx has proven capability in YEARS. Maybe for business purpose so Litespeed could shine ??

Last edited:
I dont know why Apache still preferred, nginx has proven capability in YEARS. Maybe for business purpose so Litespeed could shine ??

Maybe because a lot of hoter have extremely large Apache sites and are unwilling to change a running system? Maybe because most older web-applications run best on Apache in full functionality? Esspecially those relying on .htaccess like even Wordpress?

And Litespeed is just a lot of glamour around a "worse than nginx" product, which includes some mod_pagespeed funtionality. Looks better and faster, but nothing you cant do better with nginx. The only real need for Litespeed is for those to have a faster drop-in-replacement for Apache, while paying license-fees. Dont believe the tests you did not fake for yourself. :)

And while at it: Apache + nginx = fastest Wordpress stack ever on Plesk.

I ever read that Igor said that Plesk will have PURE nginx version but until now its not happened.
Yes, we are working on this and it's only a matter of time. The main problem is that there are too many dependencies on the Apache from the past.

Yes, we are working on this and it's only a matter of time. The main problem is that there are too many dependencies on the Apache from the past.

Please leave the option of Apache + nginx in place. Its actually the sole reason I came back for Plesk :)

Hello,

you can also disable the option "Serve static files directly by Nginx"
really???
this helps? by adding proxy template to nginx conf

block 1 = serve static files OFF (PROXIED MODE)
Code:
<?php if ($VAR->domain->active && $VAR->domain->physicalHosting->proxySettings['nginxServeStatic']): ?>
    location @fallback {
        <?php if ($VAR->domain->physicalHosting->proxySettings['nginxProxyMode']): ?>
            <?php echo $VAR->includeTemplate('domain/service/proxy.php', $OPT) ?>
        <?php else: ?>
        return 404;
        <?php endif ?>
    }

block 2 = serve static files ON (NGINX only Mode)
Code:
    location ~ ^/(.*\.(<?php echo $VAR->domain->physicalHosting->proxySettings['nginxStaticExtensions'] ?>))$ {
        try_files $uri @fallback;
        <?php if ($VAR->domain->physicalHosting->expires && $VAR->domain->physicalHosting->expiresStaticOnly): ?>
        expires <?=$VAR->quote($VAR->domain->physicalHosting->expires)?>;
        <?php endif ?>
    }
<?php endif ?>

already have checked and manually edited nginx conf
removed all blocks like
proxy_
location @fallback

apache log exists

Last edited:
really???
this helps? by adding proxy template to nginx conf

block 1 = serve static files OFF (PROXIED MODE)
Code:
<?php if ($VAR->domain->active && $VAR->domain->physicalHosting->proxySettings['nginxServeStatic']): ?>
    location @fallback {
        <?php if ($VAR->domain->physicalHosting->proxySettings['nginxProxyMode']): ?>
            <?php echo $VAR->includeTemplate('domain/service/proxy.php', $OPT) ?>
        <?php else: ?>
        return 404;
        <?php endif ?>
    }

block 2 = serve static files ON (NGINX only Mode)
Code:
    location ~ ^/(.*\.(<?php echo $VAR->domain->physicalHosting->proxySettings['nginxStaticExtensions'] ?>))$ {
        try_files $uri @fallback;
        <?php if ($VAR->domain->physicalHosting->expires && $VAR->domain->physicalHosting->expiresStaticOnly): ?>
        expires <?=$VAR->quote($VAR->domain->physicalHosting->expires)?>;
        <?php endif ?>
    }
<?php endif ?>

In fact, it 's the same with or without "Serve static files directly by Nginx", all requests are handled by Nginx.
For me, without Apache, it doesn't make sense to enable this option.

But I have tried on my server, and there isn't any Apache access logs when the proxy mode is disabled.

Thats a very good news to me. Thank you.

May I request to not include "location /" directive in nginx main template ? how about integrate nginx pagespeed ? Plus it would be much appreciated if Plesk allow custom template options that can be chose on Plesk interface. For example: we could create our custom template for Drupal 6, Drupal 7/8, WP, Magento etc. and they will be inserted as a dropdown in Plesk. I see free panel VestaCP implemented this and its really nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Igo
how about integrate nginx pagespeed ?

Did you work with nginx pagespeed? My results: I did not like pagespeed on edge servers at all. Its a mess. Partially nginx became unpredictable when it comes to: which versions are proxied? (gzipped by pagepeed, gzipped by nginx, not gzipped), similar for pagespeed modded files up- and downstream to other ressources. Which cache is used? pagespeed versus nginx and when? Sure, I believe one can handle it, yet all I tell: it becomes a mess.

My results: Having backend and edge servers seperately is a blessing - you can even unify the caches via memcached or redis. Even better: with Apache you can keep CMSs Apache affinity with mod_pagespeed and have nginx edge servers, while keeping Apache backend ressource usage low with 1r/s or 1r/5s for each domain. Even though its Apache, we are still only talking about a few kb RAM per domain to handle those 1 requests per second. A few bucks for some more memory, but in return much easier administration and clear cuts between backend and frontend versus content optimization (pagespeed) and traffic optimization (caching).

May I request to not include "location /" directive in nginx main template ?

Tbh: thats imho not enough. A lot of things you might want to change, like:
  • ssl cipher orders
  • ssl bucket sizes
  • add/remove $cache_cookie "if"-statements
  • add/remove header handling in any server and any sub locations
  • more complex sub-domain handling/redirects
Id suggest a complete httpd/nginx conf-editor for all relevant snippets.

Right now you need to change some in /etc/nginx/... and /etc/httpd/... as well as in the custom folders. Adding additional snippets is possible, but #no_fun, e.g. in the case of additional directives upon compilation of additional modules,...

I follow this Contribution - How to compile NGINX with additional modules ( pagespeed / cache_purge / headers-more / and others ) and Im very happy with the performance of all of my Drupal sites. I also added advance css/js aggregation module.

And exactly the issues I listed above come up, when you do it this way. In fact you can configure the current Onyx Beta to be faster than the result from that guide.

So: nice you are happy with it. I am not since I expect more.

one question,
does someone have tried to add some rules to apache common settings in nginx only mode ?
for example rule like "Deny IP" affects on the site but we cant see any changes in nginx configuration even with updated / replaced NGINX web server ....

thaks for all
issue resolved
by editing most of rewrites and redirects in configuration templates
/usr/local/psa/admin/conf

and have replaced mod security by
GitHub - SpiderLabs/ModSecurity-nginx: ModSecurity v3 Nginx Connector
and certbot
User Guide — Certbot 0.19.0.dev0 documentation

Last edited:
Back