• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Node.js 504 Gateway Time-out

h0us3cat

New Pleskian
Using plesk i installed something with git and node.js. Installing works fine and everything works as expected for a few minutes, after a while i get "504 Gateway Time-out" in browser and in server logs "2991#0: *297 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream". However if i disable node.js on this (sub)domain where i installed the thing everything works. Sometimes when node.js is enabled i get the "Error starting web application" page from phusion with this backtrace: "in 'bool Passenger::SpawningKit::HandshakePerform::checkCurrentState()' (Perform.h:257) in 'void Passenger::SpawningKit::HandshakePerform::waitUntilSpawningFinished(boost::unique_lock&)' (Perform.h:213) in 'Passenger::SpawningKit::Result Passenger::SpawningKit::HandshakePerform::execute()' (Perform.h:1752) in 'Passenger::SpawningKit::Result Passenger::SpawningKit::DirectSpawner::internalSpawn(const AppPoolOptions&, Passenger::SpawningKit::Config&, Passenger::SpawningKit::HandshakeSession&, const Passenger::Json::Value&, Passenger::SpawningKit::JourneyStep&)' (DirectSpawner.h:211) in 'virtual Passenger::SpawningKit::Result Passenger::SpawningKit::DirectSpawner::spawn(const AppPoolOptions&)' (DirectSpawner.h:261) in 'void Passenger::ApplicationPool2::Group::spawnThreadRealMain(const SpawnerPtr&, const Passenger::ApplicationPool2::Options&, unsigned int)' (SpawningAndRestarting.cpp:95)"

So i guess it must be some communication issue between node/phusion and apache/nginx but i don't know how to fix it.

Last edited:
I get this. It it intermittent and not consistently repeatable.
Probably the solution is to use something other than Plesk.

Back