• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

NTFS Permissions all wrong

D

DanielArkley

Hi all,

I am assisting a friend in setting up a Plesk 6.5 installation on Windows 2003 server. Despite the problems we had getting the box set up correctly in the first place, Plesk is now installed, and working fine apart from one tiny little error...

PHP doesn't work. It can just about execute scripts successfully. When it comes to writing anything to a file, we get Permission Denied, no matter where the file is located. Having looked at the NTFS permissions manually, it is quite obvious that the IUSR_MACHINENAME account is not being given permission to read/write to the folders and files it needs to. This seems a rather trivial thing to do to me, and something that Plesk ought to do itself. I am interested as to whether anyone else is experiencing these problems? So far, we have found a "work around" by adding in the missing permissions manually, but to be honest I don't think I, or my friend, could be bothered sitting there adding permissons manually to the files that need write access, especially as there are other control panels out there, especially Unix version of Plesk, that get's it right first time.

If anyone has any ideas as to what we can do to fix this permanently, I am eager to hear from you!

Best Regards,
Daniel

It's quite normal, that only the user has write access and not everyone else.

What plesk should do is include a db folder in the skeleton, that has write access, so in case somebody had an access db or something else they could put it there.

As long as windows servers doesn't support chmod from an ftp client there isn't that many options besides the web file manager that's included in plesk or the skeleton file or at last the manual way of doing it through remote desktop.

When browsing a page hosted on an IIS server the IUSR_MACHINENAME is the actual account, so giving this user write permissions to all files would mean, that everybody would get write access to everything. Not the smartest thing to do. ;)

I'm fairly sure IIS can be configured to run as a different user per site, by editing the user anonymous visitors are treated as, in directory security?

Back