• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

odd cname redirect issue on new box

M

Microdoted

i just got a new server... been using plesk for a LONG time (started around v3 i believe).

i have been using google apps for many years now... here is my setup, and issue: my clients whine about having to remember a long url for google apps management, so i created a shortcut for them...
- cname record inside plesk manage.theirdomain.com
- manage.theirdomain.com -> redirect.mydomain.com
- small php script to see what domain has come in, and redirect to appropriate google apps page.

this has worked for years now flawlessly under plesk 7 and 8. the new server i just got is running plesk 9.5.4, and upon transferring everything over... this little setup no longer works. the weird thing is: it should. the domain resolves correctly... if i punch in redirect.mydomain.com it does as it should... script working fine. but, it doesnt even get that far. when you type in manage.theirdomain.com, it loads a default page on the new server that says: "This page is generated by Parallels Plesk Panel, the leading hosting automation software. You see this page because there is no Web site at this address." - its the same for domains i am hosting on this server, on other servers, and for clients who dont even use me for hosting... but have this setup anyway.

this doesnt make any sense. if it were a dns issue, i wouldnt be able to load redirect.mydomain.com... but i am. the problem is obviously on redirect.mydomain.com as every domain sees the same thing happening... but what?

sorry... just realized this was in the wrong forum. can someone please move it to troubleshooting?

in case anyone in the future is looking... this is how it was fixed:

on plesk versions prior to 9, the domain handling the redirect could be setup in any way... shared ip, etc. on the newest versions, it absolutely has to be on a dedicated ip, and must be set as the default domain on that ip (which seems redundant, but that was the only way it would work)

now you know.

Back