• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

offloading stats and backup to second machine

M

MrSmith

Hey,

Plesk runs a few things (stats, backups etc) in cron.daily. I've run into a problem where from about mid-month, this daily run does not complete before peak morning load and this is causing degraded user experience for all sites hosted on the machine. I have already changed cron.daily from 6:25 to 0:25 a while ago.
Even with that though, the stats runs first, and this takes about 6-8 hours to process (1800+ websites on the machine) and then the mysqldump kicks in during peak business hours causing read lock problems.
The machine (hardware wise) would be more than sufficient for the load if plesk didn't need to run stats every day.

I've realised that to get around mysql locking, I can replicate to a 2nd mysql instance, and run all heavy commands (mysqldump etc) on the 2nd instance. This prevents table or row locking from affecting the control panel/client access.

What I'd like to figure out though, is a way to offload the processing of dailies.
If I can move the load of the statistics to a second machine (perhaps by nfs mounting the drive from the main plesk host) this will solve the problem and allow load to grow by almost 5 times per machine rather than split the domains across 2 machines.

Given that we have many plesk hosts (10 at the moment) with the same problem, we'd be able to use 1 piece of hardware dedicated to processing stats for all the plesk hosts rather than buying 10 extra machines and halving the load on each.

I'd really appreciate some brain storm on this.

Thanks
-Rob

I am still looking for a solution to this.
I would appreciate any feedback I can get.

Back