• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Onyx Update times out after installer hang

josie333

Basic Pleskian
OS ‪CentOS 6.9 (Final)‬
Plesk Onyx
Version 17.5.3 Update #14, last updated on July 21

I am not sure if the declared update #14 actually completed.
I have never before experienced update issues
My screen simply hung on "Downloading new installer version" message

Now from Plesk when I choose Updates and Upgrades from Tools and Settings, I receive this error..
This site can’t be reached
*server name* took too long to respond.
ERR_TIMED_OUT

Everything else appears to be working as expected except I cannot update.

Please advise

Hi josie333,

in case that an update/upgrade did not finish, you will still see a current process for the Plesk "installer" in your process - list.

Example command over the command line ( logged in as user "root" ):
Code:
ps aux | grep installer

If such an Plesk "installer" process exist, you will certainly not be able to open another webinstaller instance, untill the previous one has been finished, or untill the possible orphaned process has been killed. The possible reasons ( root causes ), why an installer - process couldn't be finished can be investigated with the help of the "autoinstaller.log", located at "/var/log/plesk/install" or, if you used the Plesk Repair Utility, with the help of the latest "repair.log".

Suggestions:
  • Pls. login as user "root" over SSH to your server.
  • Find the corresponding "installer" process ( pls. see the example command above! )
  • Kill the process with a command like
    Code:
    kill -9 XXXXX
    , ... where "XXXXX" should be replaced with the corresponding PID - number.
  • Use the Plesk Repair Utility ( => Plesk Repair Utility ) with the example command
    Code:
    plesk repair installation -y -v
  • ... and update your Plesk installation with the command
    Code:
    plesk installer --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --install-component base
    ... to make sure, that the latest updates and patches are installed.

Additional informations:

Sometimes, it is as well a good idea to change the log - level ( TEMPORARILY! ), to get more informations in Plesk - log - files:

Many thanks, those very precise instructions seem to have been successful.
I now show within Plesk these details..

‪CentOS 6.9 (Final)‬
Product Plesk Onyx
Version 17.5.3 Update #15, last updated on July 25, 2017 05:53 PM

From within Plesk I have run Updates and Upgrades and received a small component update via the Installer.
I also checked from the command line yum check-update and there is nothing reported as being required.

I have not yet established the cause of the initial problem but will follow your instructions on how to achieve this.

Have you any further recommendations ?

Thank you.

Back