• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

OS choices

Just installed Centros in MS VPC. It didn't like it. I had to install in text mode (no big deal) otherwise it would crash the VPC. And the X config didn't go well and would not work. RHES installs in the same config of VPC with no errors.

But who cares about X on a server?

Still, I did find it a little worrying.

Faris.

Thats not the OS's fault really. Anaconda defaults X to 24bit and VPC only supports 16bit. This usually requires installing via text mode and changing the xconfig afterwards if you need X. I don't use X on servers, all I need is ssh and midnight commander.

You are quite right! I had things confused. I thought it didn't support 1024x768 so when it defaulted to 800x600 in the X setup I thought there wouldn't be a problem, completely forgetting that the actual issue was 16/24bit.

D'oh!

But for some reason I can still get RHES to work in graphical mode during the install, but not Centos.

Faris.

Yes, some newer linux distro releases will recognize the vid card and start accordingly. FC3 works by default now as well. You can use whatever resolution you want just as long as its 16bit, post install that is.

Back