• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Outgoing mail limit not working properly

Ivo

Basic Pleskian
Hello everyone

We have noticed that last couple of weeks our outgoing mail limiting is not working at all.

We have

OS CloudLinux Server 6.7 (Aleksei Gubarev)
Plesk version 12.0.18 Update #67, last updated at Oct 5, 2015 10:39 AM

Im sure it was working before cause we did get mails from time to time when someone tried to go over the limit.

But last 2 days we had spammers that were not blocked and i went to see why they were not limited. To my surprise i saw that limit was not doing anything. No error that service is down or anything.

Any idea why is it not working anymore or how can i restart it to working state?

Ps..

I just remembered we are using magicspam plugin for protection and the last warning from plesk about outgoing limits was send same week as we bought magicspam. Maybe coincidence maybe not.

Last edited:
Cmon ppl this is a serious issue, any help would be appreciated. There is nothing on server that can stop spam sending if some email gets hacked.

What is outgoing mail limit? Is it a deamon, service, plugin? Can i reinstall it, restart it, anything?

What logs should i check?

I repeat service is aparently working normal but he cant see any mails on domain.

I send 20 mails from same mailbox and it didn't notice anything.

It thinks that the whole server with 300 domains is sending nothing all the time. Maybe the limiter would work properly if he actually saw all those mails.

Any idea why he cant see e-mails we send?

I just remembered we are using magicspam plugin for protection and the last warning from plesk about outgoing limits was send same week as we bought magicspam. Maybe coincidence maybe not.

Hi @Ivo.

You had a suggestion about magicspam plugin. Have you tried temporary disable it?

I checked on our test environment and I can confirm that Outgoing Limiting and MagicSpam conflict with each other. But both of them can filter outgoing spam. I suggest you to choose one of them.

Ty for your testing.

I thought that magic spam can protect only from inbound spam , not outgoing? Correct me if im wrong.

Hello Ivo,

Regarding the outgoing spam protection, MagicSpam does not perform any content filtering on email messages
transiting through your server.

However, the MagicSpam PRO version does include a customizable outbound
rate limiter system to imped compromised accounts from sending out large amounts of email.
This is allows you to react to the compromises before the event has a chance to affect your servers' IP reputation.

Please let us know if you have any further questions

-- MagicSpam Support Team --

ps. For any future MagicSpam related questions, you may want to post in the forums at
http://forums.magicspam.com

So by having the free version of MagicSpam installed, this prevents the in-built outgoing mail limits from operating?

We don't have a PRO version, we a basic paying version and we would really like a quick hotfix asap.

This is incredibly dumb situation. We needed help with incoming spam so we bought a basic version. For outgoing spam we had a plesk built in plugin "outgoing mail limit".

Now your'e telling me that we should have bought Pro version cause your plugin disables plesk built in one?

I'm pretty sure no one is going to buy or try your plugin if that remains the case :) .

I'm positive you didn't do that on purpose so start working on fixing that.

Ty in advance.

Hello Ivo,

Thank you for your replies. We are curious which MTA your server is using (Qmail or Postfix)? We want to try to reproduce the issue so that we can pass it onto our development team.

Thanks and we are hoping to get this sorted out for you right away,

We are using postfix.

One of our support guys managed to get it work by starting magicspam first then starting outgoing mail limit after.

Hello Ivo,

Thank you for the update. We're glad to hear your issue was resolved.

Since we have not yet been able to reproduce the issue, any additional information you could find out from your support guys about the resolution to your problem would be greatly appreciated.

When you say "starting magicspam first then starting outgoing mail limit after", do you mean enabling options in the Plesk interface or are you referring to the order of the "smtpd_milters" in /etc/postfix/main.cf?

@Ivo @MagicSpam12 - I have still the same Problem.
We have MagicSpam Version which is sold by Plesk directly.
No Clue what Version / License that is.

MagicSpam: Version: 2.0.16-1
Plesk Onyx Version 17.5.3 Update #45
‪Debian 8.10‬
No Whitelist IPs (i.e. 127.0.0.1 running)

Plesk Outgoing Limit not working for BCC, CC, and "TO" Field.
I set Limit to 80 per Hour, Customer sends 160 Emails and Maillog only shows 1-2 Entrys......

@IgorG any Idas maybe?

I have LFD and CSF running.

i followed this How To and checked CSF.conf:
Outgoing Mail Control limits do not work on the whole server

log permissions: lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Aug 27 2017 /dev/log

RESTRICT_SYSLOG = "2"

Can this be the Problem?

Last edited:
@Ivo @MagicSpam12 - I have still the same Problem.
We have MagicSpam Version which is sold by Plesk directly.
No Clue what Version / License that is.

MagicSpam: Version: 2.0.16-1
Plesk Onyx Version 17.5.3 Update #45
‪Debian 8.10‬
No Whitelist IPs (i.e. 127.0.0.1 running)

Plesk Outgoing Limit not working for BCC, CC, and "TO" Field.
I set Limit to 80 per Hour, Customer sends 160 Emails and Maillog only shows 1-2 Entrys......

@IgorG any Idas maybe?

I have LFD and CSF running.

i followed this How To and checked CSF.conf:
Outgoing Mail Control limits do not work on the whole server

log permissions: lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Aug 27 2017 /dev/log

RESTRICT_SYSLOG = "2"

Can this be the Problem?

Hello @daanse, thank you for your post.

We have investigated this issue internally and have confirmed that MagicSpam is not causing the interference with the Plesk outgoing rate limiter.

In the interest of moving this issue in the right direction, could you please provide more information on what the problem is - is it that the
outbound limits for Plesk aren't working, or is it that your syslog is not working since enabling LFD/CSF?

We would also suggest that you start a new thread as the original issue and many other wrinkles have been polished in the past couple of years on both Plesk and MagicSpam side since the original post.

We are looking forward to hearing more from you on this issue. Hopefully, with the help of Plesk support we can resolve the issue soon.

Thank you daanse!

Back