• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved OVH DNS as slave with no success

Dacey

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 9.13
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.44
Hello,
I have spent two full days trying to get OVH sdns2.ovh.net (213.251.188.141) as slave DNS, the master DNS being on my OVH VPS (51.178.49.88).
I followed strictly the instructions given in Plesk's "Slave SNS Server" page. In Plesk's Slave DNS manager I keep getting the error (behind the exclamation mark) "connect failed: 213.251.188.141#953: timed out" :
Code:
root@jfhaas:/etc# /usr/sbin/rndc -b "51.178.49.88" -s "213.251.188.141" -p "953" -y "rndc-key" -c "/opt/psa/var/modules/slave-dns-manager/slave_213.251.188.141.conf" status                                                                                                                                                       251.188.141.conf" status
rndc: connect failed: 213.251.188.141#953: timed out
Any idea of what may happen ?

Can you post the contents of the named.conf from the slave DNS server?

Did you open port 953 in the firewall on the slave DNS server?

You can also add extra logging to the named.conf on the slave DNS server:

Code:
logging {
        channel "log_message" {
                file "/var/log/named/log_message" versions 5 size 10485760;
                severity debug 1;
                print-time yes;
                print-severity yes;
                print-category yes;
        };
       category "general" {
                "log_message";
        };
};

Make sure to create the directory like this:
Code:
# mkdir /var/log/named
# chown named:named /var/log/named

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer. But I have no access to the slave server ! Or I miss something ...

I don't understand. You are trying to set up 213.251.188.141 as a slave DNS server and don't have access to that server? You need access to copy the MD5 key to the configuration file of that slave server. Without it, your master DNS server cannot connect to the slave server.

Your are absolutely right, and I don't understand either : OVH give the possibility to configure sdns2.ovh.net (213.251.188.141) as slave DNS, but without access to the named.conf file or at least to the MD5 key to be share with the master DNS.
I think the right place to raise this issue is with OVH and not here. Thank you for you help anyway.

No problem. Please let me know if you need help setting up the slave DNS when you have full access.

I succeeded in setting up a slave DNS (IP 213.251.188.141) at OVH. I suppose their conf files such as /etc/named.conf is automatically modified, since I have no access. As a matter of fact, no "rndc-key" is needed. I just added in /etc/bind/named.conf.local on the master side :
zone "mysite.com" { type master; file "mysite.com"; allow-transfer { 213.251.188.141; 2001:41d0:1:4a8d::1; common-allow-transfer; }; };
I am not sure why it works, but it does work !

Back