• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved ownCloud through Plesk: admin = OK, users = KO

Jean-Luc GARNIER

Basic Pleskian
Dear Community,

I have a new issue with ownCloud, which I installed into a new Plesk sub-domain:
  • Put a fresh installation of ownCloud 10.0.3
  • Created a new admin for the new instance
  • Imported all files into the application database
When I connect as admin, I have access to all settings and files. But if I connect as a user, even if the user is put in the "admin" group, I just get a timeout returning "Gateway 504 error - nginx". ownCloud support indicates their tool only need Apache, so I tried to stop the nginx service: ownCloud became not available!

I'm wondering what the nginx server exactly does, and suspect it's used as a kind of front-end by Plesk: can anyone confirm?

I also suspect some files permissions issues when trying to connect to ownCloud as a user (although all "standard" permissions have been set with an official OC script).

Thanks in advance for any help!

I have recently installed two separate instances of NextCloud on subdomains of two separate subscriptions. I chose NextCloud after experiencing issues getting OwnCloud installed successfully. I did some reading and this comparison sealed OwnClouds fate for me: Nextcloud vs ownCloud – The Whole Story - CiviHosting

Unless you have a specific reason for using OwnCloud I would strongly suggest trying NextCloud and seeing how you get on. The installation process I followed was very simple using their Web Installer. GitHub - nextcloud/web-installer: The web installer for Nextcloud.

I'm a bit confused now... ;-)

I'll give nextCloud a try but have some concerns:
  1. I've struggled a lot with OC files permissions as Plesk doesn't use the standard user:group identifiers. Got it working but for admin only, and I still don't understand why login as user rises this strange "Gateway 504 error". I'd like to fix this even if I migrate to NC...
  2. All my files are located in an external storage drive (mounted as /media/diskext/oc/data): can I point NC to the same external storage and trigger a files:scan to access my files back into NC?
  3. If NC is using the same "plumbing" than OC, I'll probably stumble upon the same nginx issues, as I will launch NC from Plesk too...
I'll probably try to install a fresh instance of NC and create a new database for it, as I still have some room left on my server. I hope the different configuration requirements will not overlap...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi all,

Any answer to my questions above? By the way, can anyone explain why nginx is involved with ownCloud although OC documentation doesn't ever mention it? All OC users confirm that the tool uses only Apache, not nginx...

Thanks in advance for any help!

I'll answer as much as I can, as I didn't complete an OwnCloud installation.

1. As a non-owncloud user I am unable to answer this point. All I can do is confirm that my installation of NextCloud on a subdomain of a subscription works fine.
2. I don't use external storage, though there is an option to specify the files location during setup, and you should be able to specify the directory at the point. More info here: Installation Wizard — Nextcloud 12 Server Administration Manual 12 documentation
3. I haven't yet experiences any Nginx issues with either instance of NextCloud. The web installer worked fine. If you follow this and then experience similar issues there might be different server configuration that is causing issues for both.

Thanks a lot, Paul! I finally took the time to install nextCloud and have it pointing to the same external storage than ownCloud. And guess what? It works like a charm, allowing admin and users to logon and access all the external files! :)

I think I'll then 1) close this thread, 2) delete the ownCloud instance and purge its database and 3) update the DNS area to point to the new nextCloud instance instead!

But I still don't understand what's nginx is doing in my way...

Thanks to all of you and enjoy your week-end!

Back