• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Panel error: Read-only file system

OverWolf

Regular Pleskian
Username:

TITLE

Panel error: Read-only file system

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Plesk Obsidian 18.0.53 on AlmaLinux 9.2

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

There are some error in panel.log about problem on permission for some commands operate by Plesk

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Nothing, there errors came out on scheduled tasks by Plesk

ACTUAL RESULT

Code:
181366:649a0a63936c4 ERR [panel] PHP Warning: unlink(/usr/local/psa/var/cache/apache_restart_stat): Read-only file system; File: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/Service/Driver/Web/Server/Apache.php, Line: 178
181366:649a0a63936c4 ERR [panel] PHP Warning: file_put_contents(/usr/local/psa/var/cache/apache_restart_stat): Failed to open stream: Read-only file system; File: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/Service/Driver/Web/Server/Apache.php, Line: 180

and about httpd_restart in /usr/local/psa/var/

EXPECTED RESULT

The task does not block and is completed without errors

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

I think that these errors are about ProtectSystem=full, and for some reasons Plesk isn't' set/working correctly.

I resolved these errors when I added this line on logrotate.service :

Code:
ReadWritePaths=/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/Service/Driver/Web/Server /usr/local/psa/var

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

Developers have checked the issue but could not reproduce it on their Alma 9.2.

You've mentioned that you've resolved these errors by adding ReadWritePaths=/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/Service/Driver/Web/Server /usr/local/psa/var to logrotate.service, which suggests the problem was due to ProtectSystem=full, a systemd directive that restricts write access to the filesystem. This directive could be causing the issue since it makes many filesystems read-only, to limit the potential harm that a service could do if it is compromised.

This seems like a configuration issue rather than a bug, as Plesk should be able to write to its own directories under normal circumstances. Maybe your distribution source has this parameter set by default, but others do not? Plesk does not modify such settings on the operating system, because they can be intentionally set by the administrator, and removing such a security setting could create security issues with other components outside Plesk.

Hi Peter,

my distribution is an original 'fresh' distribution of Almalinux. I've download it and update from repo. After this, I've installed Plesk (18.0.53) and after a day/two I have these errors. I don't know why this is happened, but it's real on two different servers.

Hi Martin,
I've standard repos :

Code:
appstream                    AlmaLinux 9 - AppStream
baseos                       AlmaLinux 9 - BaseOS
crb                          AlmaLinux 9 - CRB
epel                         Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 9 - x86_64
extras                       AlmaLinux 9 - Extras
mariadb                      MariaDB

Back