• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PCI compliance still fails due to SSL Renegotiation DoS vulnerability in Qmail/IMAP

DragonAss

New Pleskian
For over 6 months now, PCI scanners have been failing us for being vulnerable (via Qmail and Courier IMAP only --> other daemons ok) with regards to the following issue...

SSL renegotiation DoS CVE-2011-1473 which is very similar to CVE-2011-5094. Both of these also say they're *DISPUTED* and a note on each reads: "It can also be argued that it is the responsibility of server deployments, not a security library, to prevent or limit renegotiation when it is inappropriate within a specific environment."

Okay. I've checked the documentation for both Qmail and Courier IMAP but didn't see anything regarding configuration of SSL renegotiation. I think Courier uses SSL/TLS for security and Qmail fires up STARTTLS but, other than that, I've got NO idea how to alter/patch either one, much less have it all playing nice with Plesk. It seems like OpenSSL should play a role here somewhere too (perhaps those other daemons use it?) but it's high time I reach out for more clues.

Please note: this is NOT the same as the BEAST attack / CVE-2011-3389. That one has been addressed by updated ciphers, tweaking httpd.conf, etc. as seen in the basic Plesk PCI Compliance Guide/Tool.

ANY ideas or advice greatly appreciated!
Should I consider Postifix? :)

I would suggest postfix. Alternatively, you should no issues implementing a compensating control to explain away the vulnerability. If you need some help, give us a call. Night Lion Security can help with PCI Compliance Consulting.

Thanks for the feedback VinnyT (your site is now bookmarked for the decision makers around here).

So far, I plan to keep using ipfilter rule(s) to block any such attack attempts. Unfortunately, we're "not allowed" to block the IP address of our PCI scanner's server, but I could send'em the details of our server config/setup and ask'em to disregard this issue as a false positive. If that doesn't work... then I'll try Postfix. :eek:)

If anyone else is in a similar situation and/or interested in "howto block renegotiation using ipfilter", see:
Rate limiting SSL handshakes

Anyone know a quick & dirty configuration option that'll work for Qmail and/or Courier IMAP directly?
<fingers X'd>

Back