• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Performance question on PHP handlers

Nunile

New Pleskian
Hi all,

I use the Wordpress Toolkit for running a small woocommerce webshop. Within Domain > PHP Settings there are 3 different PHP handlers that can be selected:

- FPM application served by Apache
- FPM application served by Nginx
- Fast CGI application served by Apache

When reading many other threads I see that most people say that using "served by Nginx" is the best option. However, I've done some performance tests using Gtmetrix and Pingdom and my winner (by far) is "FPM application served by Apache".

Any thoughts on this? Am I missing some crucial parts?

Have you tested performance with nginx caching enabled?

Thank you for replying, nginx caching is indeed enabled. Upon investigating further I think measuring performance without looking at the big picture is wrong.
Maybe more details could help figuring out the right configuration.

I have a VPS (Vultr), on this VPS I installed Plesk to use the Wordpress Toolkit for my Woocommerce webshop.
My NS are at Cloudflare, this makes it a bit more complicated i guess.

On Cloudflare caching is also enabled, does this collide with nginx caching or am I misunderstanding how this works.

So I started with 1 question, now I have more :)

1. Which PHP handler to pick (Apache or nginx)
2. Enable or disable cache on Cloudflare
3. Enable Botli compression on Cloudflare, or use Gzip in the "Additional nginx directives" (or both? doesnt seem logical to me)

... performance tests using Gtmetrix and Pingdom and my winner (by far) is "FPM application served by Apache".
Any thoughts on this? Am I missing some crucial parts?
The Pingdom speed test delivers not only a general result, but lists all the different steps involved in delivering a page, ranging from name resolution to server response time, loading time of scripts, images etc. A good starting point could be to first decide what exactly is being analyzed. Is it the TTFB? Is it loading spead of static files? Is it loading speed of scripts? Is it name resolution speed? ...

Back