• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Resolved Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic)

Peter Carlsson

Basic Pleskian
When i ssh and run npm i get root as owner and my app brakes. I need to ssh as a customer to run npm build and i have added customer ssh user but i get:

Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic)

Under: Access to the server over SSH
i also have a lot of options other than Forbidden, what should i choose?

Please advise.

Hi Peter Carlsson,

Is it your own server? Did you install Plesk on top of the server or do you deploy image in some Cloud Environment? Looks like a password-based authentication is disabled in SSH-server config. Could you provide details about the environment, Linux version, Plesk version?

Hi,

As I know, you can't create a server on DO with password/without ssh key. ssh key is required always. In sshd config of the base image, password authentication is disabled but you can tune it by self.

Updated: Yes, you can create a server without ssh key, then you will receive a root password by email.

Last edited:
Well, i now created an new VPS on DO and i skipped the ssh key and now i get ordinary ssh login with root password so maybe it will work logging in a customer with ssh.

I just need to know what to select in the customers ssh option, there are plenty of choices besides forbidden?

How to enable password authentication:
  1. Change "PasswordAuthentication no" to "PasswordAuthentication yes" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
  2. restart sshd with "service sshd restart" as root
  3. I test with default user "centos", so, I need to set password for this user "passwd centos" as root
  4. Check with "ssh centos@localhost"

Last edited:
PasswordAuthentication yes allready set upon creating VPS since i didn't checked ssh key.

I added password for user centos and it worked fine so i guess it will work for any customer now.

I just need to know what to select in the customers ssh option, there are plenty of choices besides forbidden?

Thank you so much @AYamshanov im very close to get this all working now and cant wait to bring out the credit card :)

Do you ask about this drop down list?
SSH drop-down list.png

Here you need to choose a shell for a customer.
DESCRIPTION
nologin displays a message that an account is not available and exits
non-zero. It is intended as a replacement shell field for accounts that
have been disabled.

If the file /etc/nologin.txt exists, nologin displays its contents to the
user instead of the default message.

I appreciate the link but since i'm lacking skills here is it possible that you could recommend a choice for me?

I will never let my customer in to Plesk i just need to do stuff "as my customer" so the permissions on files, folders and processes don't break.

I suggest using the same shell as root user (/bin/bash), it will much comfortable :)

An example how to check root's shell:
Code:
# grep ^root /etc/passwd
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Yes.
Also, you can want to compare /bin/bash and /bin/bash (chrooted). "Chrooted" is more secure but not all system commands are available. Try both, I think you quickly find the differences.

Back