• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved SSH Terminal Extension not working

Paolo Percassi

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.7 (Stone Smilodon)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.48, last updated on Nov 18, 2022 12:51 PM
Hi,

I manage 4 Plesk Obsidian servers. In three of them SSH Terminal Extension works fine. In 4th server the Extension worked since two days ago. Now, opening SSH Terminal from Tool & Settings I receive a looping message:

[email protected]: Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password).

Connecting via SSH to 4th server works normally if I connect from my MacOs Terminal or from any of the other my servers. Only from local extension won't work.

I looked file /etc/ssh/sshd_config comparing it between my servers, I reinstalled SSH Terminal Extension but the problem is always the same.

I also observed that, when I start the extension clicking Tools & Settings > SSH Terminal, Plesk regenerate the file root/.ssh/authorized_keys as well as they do all other 3 servers.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks
Paolo

Thank you Peter,

yes, i've tried this but no solution.

It seems to me to be a problem in authenticating by Public Key but:
  1. the error messages refers that logging by "publickey" is active as well as other methods
  2. I've also tried to insert explicit "PubkeyAuthentication yes" in my sshd_config file
but... no solution.

O.k., summing it up then:
- SSH service is running
- SSH is working from the outside but not when Plesk SSH extension is trying it locally
- No limits on it are set in panel.ini
- Root access is permitted in sshd_config and sshd was restarted afterwards

I suggest to create a support ticket and allow supporters to check the issue directly on your server.
(30 days free trial)

Please also include a link to this thread in the support request.

Solved.

I found this entry in my /etc/passwd file:

plesk-ssh-terminal:x:985:985:plesk SSH Terminal:/usr/local/psa/var/modules/ssh-terminal:/usr/sbin/nologin

and I checked that this entry wasn't present before (I compared to a backup of 10 days ago).

So I removed the line from /etc/passwd file and my SSH Terminal inside Plesk returned to work fine.

Back