• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PHP 5.2 with mcrypt extension

G

Geoff Wells

We want to use the Magento shopping cart on our VPS server running Plesk 9.0.1 under Linux. The Magento installer says we need php 5.2 with the mcrypt extension. Our ISP tech support is not very helpful and just says we must compile and install php ourselves but they say this will most likely break Plesk.

I just know enough to run our site so long as nothing goes wrong so I am asking for advice. Does Plesk support php 5.2 and is there a simple way to install it?

Thank you,

Geoff

No Packages Marked For Update

Some Googling of Unix commands and the atomicturtle instructions started to make some sense so I gave it a try. All went well until the yum update php command when I got a "No packages marked for update" error.

I tried running the atomic.sh again but it would not run now either but it looked like the it did it's job the first time.

How can I get the yum update php command to work?

Thanks,

Geoff

It looks like this when you run it:

Atomic Archive installer, version 1.0.14
Configuring the [atomic] yum archive for this system

Installing the Atomic GPG key: OK
Downloading atomic-release-1.0-10.el5.art.noarch.rpm: OK

The Atomic Rocket Turtle archive has now been installed and configured for your system
The following channels are available:
atomic - [ACTIVATED] - contains the stable tree of ART packages
atomic-testing - [DISABLED] - contains the testing tree of ART packages
atomic-bleeding - [DISABLED] - contains the development tree of ART packages

If you dont get that, try dropping the -q flag (it means quiet), and see what errors come back. Generally its a connectivity problem

Putty output

Here is a copy of the Putty window contents. I've also tried the "yum update php" command and I get the same "No Packages marked for Update" error. Do I have to reimage the server and start from scratch?

Thanks very much for your time,

Geoff

login as: root
[email protected]'s password:
Last login: Wed Mar 18 16:17:26 2009 from batelnet-nat.batelnet.bs
[root@s15340424 ~]# wget -o - http://www.atomicorp/installers/atomic.sh | sh
[root@s15340424 ~]# yum update
Loading "fastestmirror" plugin
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* base: update.onlinehome-server.com
* updates: update.onlinehome-server.com
* addons: update.onlinehome-server.com
* extras: update.onlinehome-server.com
base 100% |====================| 1.1 kB 00:00
updates 100% |====================| 951 B 00:00
addons 100% |====================| 951 B 00:00
extras 100% |====================| 1.1 kB 00:00
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update
[root@s15340424 ~]#

Progress but no mcrypt

Thanks very much atomicturtle using uppercase OH made all the difference. I did get the following error after the yum update php command

Setting up Update Process
Could not find update match for php
No Packages marked for Update

although php seems to have been upgraded

Running the magento-check.php page still reports that the mcrypt extension is missing. Do I have to do something to activate mcrypt?

Thanks again - almost there,

Geoff

Success

First the disclaimer - I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING

But if this can help someone else that will be great.

The problem with not knowing what you are going is you are afraid to try anything in case you break it and cannot fix it. Googling this problem brings up post after post of geek speak which left me very confused - but I tried anyway.

Used Putty to log in as root then typed

yum install mcrypt*

typed y at the prompt then

service httpd restart

and it worked. I have no idea what the asterisk is for but it was in what I thought was the most knowledgeable post so I went with it.

Now to install Magento

I have Plesk 9.2.3 running on CentOS 5_64 with PHP 5.2.11

When i look in my phpinfo, it looks like mcrypt is available but Magento is complaining it is not

Phpinfo looks like below

mcrypt
mcrypt support enabled
Version 2.5.8
Api No 20021217
Supported ciphers cast-128 gost rijndael-128 twofish arcfour cast-256 loki97 rijndael-192 saferplus wake blowfish-compat des rijndael-256 serpent xtea blowfish enigma rc2 tripledes
Supported modes cbc cfb ctr ecb ncfb nofb ofb stream

i'd better upgrade PHP to something greater than 5.2 (preferably, the latest ver) in your place..

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to install mcrypt via atomic, but got the following error.

Error: /etc/redhat-release was not detected.

Can anybody help me with this?

Back