• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question PHP 7.4 EOL and Plesk Support after that?

ldoerrdotcom

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu Server 20
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.45 Update #2
Hello everyone,
i have a web host edition server with several php 7.4 websites. As you might have heard, TYPO3 has finally spoken about their Update Policy, which means, TYPO3 V10 will not support PHP 8. I know that several customers have their pages running with TYPO3 V10 and PHP 7.4.

My question now: Will Plesk have a PHP 7.4 ELTS or not? And if so, how much will it cost or will it be free?

We ship PHP 7.4 as is without providing an ELTS. You will still have PHP 7.4 as delivered by the PHP.NET vendor, but at some point, they will stop releasing security patches for it.

go over to DEB.SURY.ORG and use their repository for PHP 7.4, once Plesk stops providing updates.
Sure, there is no guarantee on how long they will support PHP 7.4, but as they still provide security updates for releases back to PHP 5.6 as of today, the chances are high that you'll see a maintained PHP 7.4 long after the official PHP group and Plesk stopped doing so.

And if this is not a feasible solution, well there is always the proper way of dealing with such situations, i.e. upgrading the application code (in that case going to Typo3 v11)

go over to DEB.SURY.ORG and use their repository for PHP 7.4, once Plesk stops providing updates.
Sure, there is no guarantee on how long they will support PHP 7.4, but as they still provide security updates for releases back to PHP 5.6 as of today, the chances are high that you'll see a maintained PHP 7.4 long after the official PHP group and Plesk stopped doing so.

And if this is not a feasible solution, well there is always the proper way of dealing with such situations, i.e. upgrading the application code (in that case going to Typo3 v11)
Thanks for the info! I will check that dude up - maybe he will do it for 7.4 as well :)
Of course that is the way, but having to upgrade TYPO3 from V10 to V11 is not that easy if there are self-written extensions and stuff like that. Im working as a TYPO3 Developer since 3 years now and know what im talking about. I have already upgraded nearly 100 pages (some from 7 to 9, some from 7 to 10 and since 11 LTS is out, several versions to 11 as well). But the question is always, if the customers are ready to pay that.

Back