• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PHP 7.x: webp support in GD

samuelgi

New Pleskian
Hi,

I need webp support in gd, but it seems that php 7.1 (and 7.0) is compiled without it.

This is the output of gd_info():

Code:
Array
(
    [GD Version] => bundled (2.1.0 compatible)
    [FreeType Support] => 1
    [FreeType Linkage] => with freetype
    [GIF Read Support] => 1
    [GIF Create Support] => 1
    [JPEG Support] => 1
    [PNG Support] => 1
    [WBMP Support] => 1
    [XPM Support] => 1
    [XBM Support] => 1
    [WebP Support] => 0
    [JIS-mapped Japanese Font Support] => 0
)

I'm using Debian 8, that has webp enabled in gd but last php version is 5.6.30 and I need php 7. I can install PHP7 with gd-webp support from an external repository but Plesk doesn't have a handler for it.

What can I do?

Thanks

I've installed php7 from an external repository and created a handler for plesk, and it's working. However, It would be great if I could use Plesk php versions with webp enabled, I don't like to have external repositories.

On my Plesk 17.5.3 Centos test server I see in phpinfo() output for PHP7.1.6:

Screenshot at Jun 13 11-16-30.png

Have you checked this?

Yes, WBMP is supported, but it's not the same as webp, it's another image format.

gd_info() returns:
Code:
   [WBMP Support] => 1
   [WebP Support] => 0

Thanks for your answer.

come on.. there should be an easy option in plesk to support GD with Webp....

can't i add webpsupport to plesk-php70 with like adding --with-webp-dir ??

OR might something like pecl install plsk-php70-gd --with-webp-dir work ?

OR is there an option to agg the --with-webp-dir to the config plesk is using an d recompile ?

Last edited:
@IgorG - one should not be forced to manually compile PHP GD and to "fake remove" phpXX-gd" from RPM Database to get WebP Support in PHP.
It shouldn't be time consuming (especially as libwebp is already included in RHEL/Centos Base Repo) adding WebP to PHP Build Options ... Could this Feature Request please be forwarded to some Devs to consider it?
PHP GD webp support

thx, bye from Austria
Andreas Schnederle-Wagner

@futureweb We have already submitted this feature request in our internal bug tracking system as PPM-2308 but with low priority. There are only 12 votes for this feature, unfortunately.

This is not that hard for you isn't it ?!?
so just do it, 10 minutes to sadisfy some customers ;)

May be it looks like an low voted feature, but it's one of those cost so less time!
You could have a Look at which 5-10 requests could be done in like a day... let's say onece a week or month?

Thank YOU!

This is not that hard for you isn't it ?!?
so just do it, 10 minutes to sadisfy some customers ;)

May be it looks like an low voted feature, but it's one of those cost so less time!
You could have a Look at which 5-10 requests could be done in like a day... let's say onece a week or month?

Thank YOU!
Implementation of a new feature is a long and complicated process. It does not require exactly 10 minutes. It is necessary to spend time on market research, on risk assessments, on development, on long testing on various platforms and under different conditions of use, and so on. In fact, even a small and seemingly very simple feature requires a very complex and long implementation process and a lot of resources. Do you think it is advisable to start such a process for a feature that is not very popular? This is a very serious matter of priorities.

Do you think it is advisable to start such a process for a feature that is not very popular?

TBH - This request is about enabling a single compile Flag for a small PHP Module - and not to implement a whole new, big Feature ... :rolleyes:
what a pity - Rigid Company Structures once again prevent an otherwise quickly implemented improvement :(

IF you don't know if it is okay and save for your customers, tahn let them decide!
Let them switch it on or add flags in a way taht they can decide!

Market research: Webp is fetured by major performance advisors and supported in all major browsers for a while now.
Can I use... Support tables for HTML5, CSS3, etc
Frequently Asked Questions  |  WebP  |  Google Developers

getting off topic... sorry...
It's like stikking on HTTP/1.0 instead going for HTTP/3

Another Market research for you:
As you might know atm apache is not campable.. but be prepared... QUIC is already (2017) serving up to 7.8% of the total traffic volume!
Performance on Google properties Faster page loading times ● 5% faster on average ● 1 second faster for web search at 99th-percentile

May be we should already vote for this feature otherwise it will come in 2022? and not arround release for apache / nginx ?

It is also about being on (around) the top of technology and not behind! And NOT supporting WebP or HTTP/2 nativ or HTTP/3-soon is absolutly out of date and unattractive.
You don't need to bee the first to try out new stuff.. but webp is around since like 2010!

Both features HTTP/2 Apache Native (withoout nginx) and webp are very easy to implement.
This is like always installing apcu and memcached by hand :) I think most modern Websites could make use of apcu and memcached... but i stop for now

Resources:
https://blog.apnic.net/2018/05/15/how-much-of-the-internet-is-using-quic/
https://blog.apnic.net/2018/01/29/measuring-quic-vs-tcp-mobile-desktop/
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/96/slides/slides-96-quic-3.pdf
https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2018/06/Introducing-QUIC-support-for-HTTPS-load-balancing.html

Hi IgorG, do you think I can compile GD with webP support if my current Plesk version is Plesk Onyx Version 17.8.11 Update #35 with PHP 7.3.0?

I have a Linux RHEL Linux Server 7.5

Thanks,

JB

Thanks for your answer IgorG, I've tried that but unfortunately I haven't been able to finish the installation as RHLE 7.6 is not including libweb. Is there any other way to implement this on a this type of server?

Back