• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Php 8.3 ?

Erwan

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 11
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.56 #1
Hi all,

The stable PHP 8.3 version is due to be released on November 23.
When will it be available in Plesk?

Thank you.

Erwan

Normally it will become available around a week or two later. Out of curiousity: Which feature does PHP 8.3 have that makes it important to have it rather sooner than later?

Thank you Peter.

None ! It's a new client who is asking us for a simple Wordpress.
It was, to have something to respond in terms of deadline.

Normally it will become available around a week or two later. Out of curiousity: Which feature does PHP 8.3 have that makes it important to have it rather sooner than later?
It is always good to provide the latest PHP version to customers as fast as possible. Gotta be top of the notch. Newer PHP versions are usually more secure, faster to execute code, and enforce cleaner ways of coding PHP scripts. And from a marketing point of view, it's great to provide latest versions for software as it is obsolete quite fast.
8.1 is only about 20% faster than 7.0.
Funny because I count around 30% using the numbers on the provided link.
Btw, why "only" 20%? 20% is a whole lot already. 20% less time to execute scripts = faster page loading time for visitors, better retention, better SEO, better energy consumption, 20% more websites hosted (or visitors) on a single server...
8.3 doesn't seem to be faster though, but I'll still push it once WordPress becomes compatible.

It is always good to provide the latest PHP version to customers as fast as possible. Gotta be top of the notch. Newer PHP versions are usually more secure, faster to execute code, and enforce cleaner ways of coding PHP scripts. And from a marketing point of view, it's great to provide latest versions for software as it is obsolete quite fast.

Funny because I count around 30% using the numbers on the provided link.
Btw, why "only" 20%? 20% is a whole lot already. 20% less time to execute scripts = faster page loading time for visitors, better retention, better SEO, better energy consumption, 20% more websites hosted (or visitors) on a single server...
8.3 doesn't seem to be faster though, but I'll still push it once WordPress becomes compatible.
PHP 8.x really feels faster. The Plesk Optimizer is really also a nice thing for web servers / SQL / PHP.

So I recommend an "Advance Mode" in the installer where you can see the "Experimental Packages", so parts of the Plesk community would be live beta testers ;-)

So the discussion about Nginx and HTTP3 also applies to this feature for “experimental features” as well as HTTP/3. Cloudflare has supported HTTP/3 in Germany since mid-2021. Look @HTTP/3

It will probably take a lot longer for Wordpress to support PHP 8.3 than with Plesk, especially since you also have to take the plugins into account with Wordpress. But mine wasn't that deprecated with PHP 8.3

For sure it will take time for scripts to be updated. Especially if running WooCommerce, since they just fixed PHP 8.1 deprecations a few months ago.
But even if not used on all websites, it is important to allow for the latest PHP version for the more technical hosted customers that always like to have latest versions available. Even I am like that, I want to have everything updated all the time, so I can understand.

For sure it will take time for scripts to be updated. Especially if running WooCommerce, since they just fixed PHP 8.1 deprecations a few months ago.
But even if not used on all websites, it is important to allow for the latest PHP version for the more technical hosted customers that always like to have latest versions available. Even I am like that, I want to have everything updated all the time, so I can understand.
I completely agree, I always love being one of the first to try out the latest things, even on a test server.

WooCommerce yes, sometimes it takes a long time until the updates are available. But WooCommerce is getting better and better with great integrations from Google SiteKit to Facebook Shopping and so on.

8.3 doesn't seem to be faster though
Yes, and that was the question, what makes 8.3 stand out from 8.2 that is badly needed.
But no worries, we'll have PHP 8.3. in Plesk as always around 10 to 14 days after it was officially released.

Nice Job.
It works one of my project sites is now on PHP 8.3.0
Tested it on three of my own websites, no deprecation or error in logs. Even on the WooCommerce one. Using only very well supported scripts though. Performance seems similar so far with PHP 8.2 and 8.3.

Back