• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question PHP-FPM Apache / Nginx

johnny_silverhand

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hello!

Searched for an answer on the form but unsuccessfully.

Please tell me what is the difference between [PHP-FPM dedicated application server by apache] and [PHP-FPM dedicated application server by nginx], also simple [PHP-FPM application server by apache] and [PHP-FPM application server by nginx].

I understand that nginx works as a proxy for apache and it works for me, but I don't understand how htaccess is handled if PHP-FPM serves nginx. Where is Apache in this chain?

Thanks in advance)

If either [PHP-FPM dedicated application server by nginx] or [PHP-FPM application server by nginx] is selected, content is served by nginx directly and Apache won't be involved. As a result .htaccess files are ignored (because nginx doesn't use Apache directives).

The difference between [PHP-FPM application server by ..] and [PHP-FPM dedicated application server by ..] is that for the later a separate (dedicated) PHP-FPM process is used instead of the global PHP-FPM process. Which has some performance benefits at the expense of a bit more resources (memory mainly) being used.

Last edited:
thanks for the explanation!

But there is one unresolved issue.

I have a site on wordpress, I specified [PHP-FPM application server by nginx] and the site works (cache is disabled). If I remove .htaccess but wordpress rewrite doesn't work and all pages except the main one return 404.

It turns out that nginx also requires / can use .htaccess.

On my other server, only nginx is installed, rewrite has its own rules for work and .htaccess definitely does not work.

There is a known issue that causes this problem. To solve this, make sure to disable "Custom error documents":

Go into Hosting Settings -> Untick Custom error documents

Thank you all for your help!

Pleasantly surprised by the speed of the response!
While there is no task to transfer sites to nginx, I figured it out for myself.

This did not affect the operation of the site in any way:
Go into Hosting Settings -> Untick Custom error documents

I think the reason why a wordpress site with .htaccess works with all sorts of PHP-FPM + nginx is here:
>> This issue has been addressed in Plesk Obsidian 18.0.34 where new WordPress installations work with PHP-FPM served by nginx.

Thanks again everyone!

Back