• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved PHP-FPM Error

DieterWerner

Regular Pleskian
Messages from WatchDog:
----------------------------
The PHP-FPM (FastCGI Process Manager) service on host [...] is down.
The problem was discovered on Jan 26, 2019 01:29 PM.

The PHP-FPM (FastCGI Process Manager) service on host [...] has been released from monitoring on Jan 26, 2019 01:54 PM.
----------------------------

So I wonder what to do now in order to make PHP-FPM runable without errors.

System:
CentOS 7
Plesk Onyx #37

Thanks, I will try it.
Doesn't work ...

Results:
Job for php-fpm.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status php-fpm.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
Failed to start php-fpm service.

and:
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/php-fpm.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/php-fpm.service.d
└─limit_nofile.conf

And what is the output of
# systemctl status php-fpm.service
# journalctl -xe

systemctl status php-fpm.service
tells me:
php-fpm.service - The PHP FastCGI Process Manager
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/php-fpm.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/php-fpm.service.d
└─limit_nofile.conf
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since So 2019-01-27 14:50:57 CET; 21h ago
Main PID: 3280 (code=exited, status=78)

That is odd:
└─limit_nofile.conf

journalctl -xe
simply tells me that the fpm-service is down

More information can be probably be found in the error log of the corresponding PHP-FPM version, for example for PHP version 5.6:
# less /var/log/plesk-php56-fpm/error.log
for PHP version 7.1
# less /var/log/plesk-php70-fpm/error.log
etc.

Can the service be restarted or does it yield an error upon restart?
For example for PHP 7.0:
# service plesk-php70-fpm restart

Can the service be restarted or does it yield an error upon restart?
For example for PHP 7.0:
# service plesk-php70-fpm restart
No - it can't be restarted this way.
(Job for plesk-php70-fpm.service failed because the control process exited with error code.)

# /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/phpinimng --type fpm --start --service-name php-fpm
restart it but it is down after ~ one minute.

The service "php-fpm" is a different service. It is not the same as plesk-php70-fpm, but the php-fpm that is shipped with your operating system. For testing purposes it will be better to select one version and do all tests with that one version, else the issue cannot be located.

When you assume that the plesk-php70-fpm service does not start, you should find specific log entries why it cannot be started in /var/log/plesk-php70-fpm/error.log.

When this is about the php-fpm service that is shipped with the operating system, you find more information in /var/log/php-fpm/error.log.

Yes, I know the content of the error files you mentioned (and I use php 7.2.14).

plesk-php72-fpm
error.log
[27-Jan-2019 12:43:33] NOTICE: configuration file /opt/plesk/php/7.2/etc/php-fpm.conf test is successful

[27-Jan-2019 12:43:33] NOTICE: Reloading in progress ...
[27-Jan-2019 12:43:33] NOTICE: reloading: execvp("/opt/plesk/php/7.2/sbin/php-fpm", {"/opt/plesk/php/7.2/sbin/php-fpm", "--nodaemonize"})
[27-Jan-2019 12:43:33] NOTICE: using inherited socket fd=8, "/var/www/vhosts/system/everyscript.de/php-fpm.sock"
[27-Jan-2019 12:43:33] NOTICE: using inherited socket fd=8, "/var/www/vhosts/system/everyscript.de/php-fpm.sock"
[27-Jan-2019 12:43:33] NOTICE: using inherited socket fd=9, "/var/www/vhosts/system/interwer.com/php-fpm.sock"
[27-Jan-2019 12:43:33] NOTICE: using inherited socket fd=9, "/var/www/vhosts/system/interwer.com/php-fpm.sock"
[27-Jan-2019 12:43:33] NOTICE: fpm is running, pid 5165
[27-Jan-2019 12:43:33] NOTICE: ready to handle connections
[27-Jan-2019 12:43:33] NOTICE: systemd monitor interval set to 10000ms
[27-Jan-2019 14:28:53] NOTICE: Terminating ...
[27-Jan-2019 14:28:53] NOTICE: exiting, bye-bye!
[27-Jan-2019 14:30:46] NOTICE: fpm is running, pid 499
[27-Jan-2019 14:30:46] NOTICE: ready to handle connections
[27-Jan-2019 14:30:46] NOTICE: systemd monitor interval set to 10000ms

You said
"restart it but it is down after ~ one minute."
But this is not what the log shows. Could you please provide the excerpt that shows the situation "but it is down after ~ one minute".

You said
"restart it but it is down after ~ one minute."
But this is not what the log shows. Could you please provide the excerpt that shows the situation "but it is down after ~ one minute".
Email by WatchDog:
The PHP-FPM (FastCGI Process Manager) service on host [...} is down.
The problem was discovered on Jan 28, 2019 12:13 PM.

I am sorry, I will not be able to help. Once again I feel like I am talking against a wall.
The "problem was discovered on Jan 28, 2019 12:13 PM" means: 12:13 PM. You provide a log file excerpt of 12:43 PM.
PHP-FPM is not plesk-php72-fpm.
The log does not confirm "but it is down after ~ one minute".

If you want help in the forum, you need to provide correct information. With incorrect information there is no way we can figure out if there is any issue and what exactly it is. I am out of this case, maybe others can still help.

I am sorry, I will not be able to help. Once again I feel like I am talking against a wall.
The "problem was discovered on Jan 28, 2019 12:13 PM" means: 12:13 PM. You provide a log file excerpt of 12:43 PM.
PHP-FPM is not plesk-php72-fpm.
The log does not confirm "but it is down after ~ one minute".

If you want help in the forum, you need to provide correct information. With incorrect information there is no way we can figure out if there is any issue and what exactly it is. I am out of this case, maybe others can still help.
Once again: thanks for your efforts.
Your help is always more than welcome.

well I resume - it looks like watchdog is not propper configured and monitors the wrong service and thats the reason why it release it from monitoring and you think it is down after a minute. So what is the relevant output of the watchdog logfile usualy under /var/log/plesk/modules/monit.log and what settings do you have in the watchdog extension for php-fpm

see also Watchdog does not monitor PHP-FPM (FastCGI Process Manager) properly
and which settings you have in the watchdog ?
  1. Go to Plesk > Extensions > My Extensions > Watchdog > Open;
  2. Click the "PHP-FPM (FastCGI Process Manager)" service;
also more clearnes would show the community the enabled php handlers when you go to
Plesk Panel > Tools & Settings > PHP Settings >
and which service is running under
Plesk Panel > Tools & Settings > Services Management

If you like to monitor individual php-fpm Services I suppose have you read the knowledgebase entry above I posted to monitor specified php versions via watchdog right?

Last edited:
well I resume - it looks like watchdog is not propper configured and monitors the wrong service and thats the reason why it release it from monitoring and you think it is down after a minute.

Yes,you are right.

also more clearnes would show the community the enabled php handlers when you go to
Plesk Panel > Tools & Settings > PHP Settings >

7.1.26 FPM application
7.2.14 FPM application

and which service is running under
Plesk Panel > Tools & Settings > Services Management

PHP-FPM 7.1.26
PHP-FPM 7.2.14

If you like to monitor individual php-fpm Services I suppose have you read the knowledgebase entry above I posted to monitor specified php versions via watchdog right?

I did not only read it but did it exactly the way as it is to read ...
and it works!
Thank you!

Hello my server can't resolve any host
yum update
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Determining fastest mirrors
http://autoinstall.plesk.com/PSA_17.8.11/extras-rpm-CentOS-7-x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 12] Timeout on http://autoinstall.plesk.com/PSA_17.8.11/extras-rpm-CentOS-7-x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: (28, 'Connection timed out after 30001 milliseconds')
Trying other mirror.
http://autoinstall.plesk.com/PSA_17.8.11/extras-rpm-CentOS-7-x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 12] Timeout on http://autoinstall.plesk.com/PSA_17.8.11/extras-rpm-CentOS-7-x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: (28, 'Connection timed out after 30001 milliseconds')
Trying other mirror.
Trying other mirror.
Trying other mirror.

And when i run systemctl status php-fpm.service i get

Sep 28 17:09:32 96f76d5.online-server.cloud systemd[1]: Starting The PHP FastCGI Process Manager...
28-Sep-2020 17:09:32] ERROR: No pool defined. at least one pool section must be specified in config file
[28-Sep-2020 17:09:32] ERROR: failed to post process the configuration
[28-Sep-2020 17:09:32] ERROR: FPM initialization failed
php-fpm.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=78/n/a
Failed to start The PHP FastCGI Process Manager.
Unit php-fpm.service entered failed state.
php-fpm.service failed.

I would like to follow up this thread. Since my Plesk decided to update itself from Plesk Onyx zu Plesk Obsidian PHP-FPM started to fail via Watchdog. The link above is not available any more. I already now tried to remove the OS vendor PHP version as it's completely outdated (CentOS 7 fully patched), but not all PHP options have been removed in the panel (the error occurred before), funny thing the php fpm option hasn't been removed. I also tried to add PHP 8.1, but no FPM service has been added. Really stupid.

@Christian_Heutger Your previous post only says that something is not working right, but it remains unclear what your specific question is. Please create a new thread for your question as it does not seem to be related to this thread here. In that new thread, please describe what you actually want to know, e.g. what you did, what you expected to happen and what happened instead of what you expected.

Back