• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs php_handler --reread fails to find new modules

TimReeves

Regular Pleskian
Username: TimReeves

TITLE

php_handler --reread fails to find new modules

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Plesk Obsidian 18.0.34 Update #2, Debian 10 64 bit vServer

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

For years I've been compiling and adding modules to Plesk PHP versions - for example, Nextcloud really needs something like APCu, and I'm a fan of igbinary.

php_handler --reread has been working withour problems for years - and now, suddenly, it does not - the new modules are not added to Plesk's known modules any more, although the .so and .ini files are there, exactly where they should be.

I noticed this yesterday on a vanilla install of Plesk / Debian 10 on a newly rented vServer. Today I checked it out with PHP 8.0 on an older vServer with Debian 9, but same Plesk version. Result is the same - on a server where this used to work fine (see PHP 7.3 and 7.4), now it fails. So it looks very much like a Plesk problem.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

# apt-get install plesk-php74-dev
# /opt/plesk/php/7.4/bin/pecl install apcu
# echo "extension=apcu.so" > /opt/plesk/php/7.4/etc/php.d/apcu.ini
# /usr/local/psa/bin/php_handler --reread

In Plesk backend: Tools & Settings | PHP Settings | 7.4.16 FPM application

ACTUAL RESULT

New modules have not been found and added to Plesk's knowledge of available modules

EXPECTED RESULT

New modules are found and appear in the list of checkboxes

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

Hi John,
thanks for your question: No, the new modules are not loaded. That much I'm certain about. To elaborate on my last comment: On a second server I saved unchanged settings and the new modules still did not appear. Then I called "php_handler --reread" again, and again saved changed settings - then the new modules appeared. So basically, I see the problem in this area but I could not nail it down to one particular action. All I can say with certainty is, that if you call "php_handler --reread" and save changed settings a few times, at some point the new modules will (probably) appear. I know this is not so wonderfully herlpful, but it's all I can offer.
Best,
Tim

Tried your building steps and as result I found that module is loaded:

# /opt/plesk/php/7.4/bin/pecl install apcu
# echo "extension=apcu.so" > /opt/plesk/php/7.4/etc/php.d/apcu.ini
# plesk bin php_handler --reread

# /opt/plesk/php/7.4/bin/php -m | grep apcu
apcu

Hi @IgorG ,
many thanks as ever for taking a look at this.
Even though it's not what I was hoping to hear - I wanted a fix, not to hear that it works for you ;)

Still the question remains: Did you also look in Plesk GUI, if APCu was being listed in the PHP 7.4 settings (Modules)?
One thing making me crazy is that I can't find where it's managed, which modules are actually loaded into PHP. In
/opt/plesk/php/7.4/etc/php.d
it looks like a list of all available modules, for sure not all of them are loaded. It looks like the amount of modules which should appear in the Plesk GUI to be managed. Remembering how it is "normally" done - with modules available and softlinks from a second directory to those to actually be loaded: How is this done in the Plesk way of PHP? If I understood that, I'm sure I could help debug this issue more effectively.
Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:
Have you tried to restart php-fpm service before running php_handler --reread?

# service plesk-php74-fpm restart

?

OK, now I think I found the solution: It's a browser caching problem - if you reload the page (Strg-F5) then the expected checkboxes appear.
@IgorG Could you please get devs to look at the caching instructions on the pages showing PHP modules?

Do you have some modified setup that would change the cache behavior? I'm seeing:
cache-control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate
Which means the browser won't cache the page

@john0001 No I haven't modified anything like that at the Plesk installation, and you are right, cache control is as you noted.
Looking at the network traffic for the page I found it may be "my bad" - uBlock Origin was blocking something, and also cookies were blocked. So I expect it was one of those. Sorry all!

Back