• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue phpMyAdmin access to remote database

Richard Proctor

New Pleskian
I am doing some major work for someone else's site and need to have full admin access to the relevant database on his server. (To add lots of tables and fields to existing tables). While I am developing the new system, the existing site needs to do what it does now without interruption. He has set up appropriate access at his end allowing me through the fixed IP of my own server (which has Plesk 12 on it) so that I can do what I need. His access appears to be fine - I can access the database from the command line of my server. I would like to either add his database to one's I administer through plesk, or setup an new copy of phpMyAdmin in a secure place. (The security I can and have setup). Both routes are having problems:

1) Adding his database to the Database Servers in Plesk: I have added the database to the list of databases and supplied the name or IP address of the remote system, the username/password I have. (There is no field for the name of the database) But it does not work:

On the database setting page (Home>Tools & Settings>Database Servers> Database server on 162.144.1.48
it gives this error:
Warning: The last attempt to control this database server failed because the supplied account does not possess administrative privileges.

And if I go to the databases tab I get this: Error: Access denied for user 'jmnetwor_richard'@'212.227.255.187' to database 'd581cbadb2e23d'

I have no idea where d581cbadb2e23d has come from.

2) Trying to edit the phpMyAdmin config files directly to add the remote database in has always resulted in the access not working and the use of it on my server also breaks. I suspect this must be possible but it probably needs to be done in the right place.

3) My third approach is trying to load a new independent copy of phpMyAdmin on the server and then configure it to run where I have put it. Lots of errors so far - the latest is:
PHP Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/usr/share/php/gettext/gettext.inc' (includ
e_path='.:') in ...

I know lots of perl/ruby/javascript but very very little php. Help welcome

As the error said: the user/password you have for the remote mysql server does not have super user privileges on the server at ip address 162.144.1.48.

You need to contact the sysadmin of that server and ask him the correct user/password. Maybe he forgot to give the new user the needed privileges, or he forgot to open the firewall.

regards
Jan

The remote mysql server is fine - I can access it from the command line on my server. The phpMyAdmin in Plesk is not accessing the remote server appropriately.

Any update on this?
i am having the same error but I have granted my user full access to all databases in the external Mariadb server.
I also remote connected with DBeaver application with the same creds and it is working fine from there!

Back