1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice

Pitfalls for upgrading from FC2 to FC3?

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by SacAutos, Aug 30, 2005.

1. SacAutos

SacAutos Regular Pleskian

40%
    I'm running Fedora Core 2 (FC2) on my server and recently completed the upgrade from PSA 7.5.2 to 7.5.4 . I am so happy and relieved that the update worked flawlessly!

In looking at the release notes for 7.5.4 I see that Fedora Core 3 (FC3) is now supported for the release of PSA that I'm running. My question is - what are issues involved in upgrading to the later Fedora release? Is it as simple as running a YUM update as detailed on this website?

http://naeblis.cx/rtomayko/2004/12/06/fc2-to-fc3-upgrade-with-yum

or is it more complicated, say, requiring that I backup and remove my sites, upgrade and then reinstall? Or something inbetween? I'd like to play it safe, of course, but balance that with minimum downtime. (This is a production machine with customers that don't like being offline naturally.)

2. hardweb

hardweb Guest

You can upgrade with yum, although there are some package dependencies that can be easily solved. I do not particulary recommend this for a production server.

3. k.satirli

k.satirli Guest

oh it sounds so tempting, I'd love to upgrade to FC3, but I'm too scared.

unless there is a foolproof way I wont do it. since there is none - I'll see how others jump in and get to reinstall everything :p

4. k.satirli

k.satirli Guest

you know, since I obviously screwed up my server, I think I'm gonna try the FC2 to FC3 upgrade.

since the link is down and I obviously want to read up a lot more, do you have more sources you'd be willing to share?

5. hardweb

hardweb Guest

Try a search on google, there are a lot of guys that wrote a FC2 to FC3 update guide using yum.

6. totalcool

totalcool Guest

Has anyone upgraded to FC2 to FC3?

Are there suggestions? Comments??

Hints??

7. XenoDave

XenoDave Guest

FC2 with Godaddy

I'm running FC2 through GoDaddy.
    All nice and upgraded to 7.5.4.

Installed Yum all well and good, however when I go to update I get dependancy issues.
    Looking around I find the Atomic Turtle and the Fedora Legacy.
    (Legacy is what I used).
    Any recommondations on how to upgrade is AtomicTurtle my only route?