• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PLEASE support Postfix

H

Hal9000

SWsoft, please, implement Postfix support for Plesk! Qmail is old and limited, almost everybody hates it!
I was using Confixx 3 with Postfix, I was so happy about it, then i switched to Plesk 7.5 a couple of months ago, I am pretty happy about Plesk, but this Qmail is a real pain in the ***.
I wonder why Confixx supports three MTA whereas the more expensive Plesk forces you to use Qmail :(

I TOTALLY agree ... this is why Plesk should use Postfix instead of qmail :

- Postfix is also very secure but easier to configure.
- still under active development / maintainment
- (for SWSoft) easy to setup with MySQL support
- qmail doesn't even have a native queue manager (besides the limited qstat / qread)
- No 1. reason : Postfix is included with almost every distribution out there !

I admit that I like Postfix, but I also have to say that in over 4yrs using Plesk (with qmail) I've not seen *ANY* stability issues whatsoever with qmail. It simply works, always, without question. If Postfix can do the same then I'm behind it, but I don't know it well enough to know if that's the case. I can't see SWsoft dropping qmail personally, but more likely adding support for the provider to have the option to choose betwen multiple MTA's. I don't like this. I think that options will create more room for bugs unnecessarily and email is a service with which we cannot live with serious bugs.

Postfix, besides being very reliable and safe too, is so much easier to customize. When i used Confixx i added Greylisting support, SPF, different checks like HELO checks, rbls, rhsbls, client verification, sender verification, etc. etc. etc, all using map hashes for user customization (but could be mysql too).

With qmail all this is a different story. I can understand that it's reliable (not on Debian though), but let's face it, if you want to add some stuff to customize it / improve it, it limits you, especially because you need to recompile it for most of the stuff, and Plesk uses its own package.
It's like 7 years old and is not being developed since, the internet has changed since then.
Just face it, Qmail is and looks old. Just like an old Mercedes: reliable but lacking all the technologies that today are standard.

Qmail sucks, Postfix rocks

I have never lost email with postfix and have run it for years, every day however i am losing mail with qmail. Yeah Dan says that it will never loose mail and that is bullshit, i see it every day. Just wish i could explain it, system has never crashed (other than qmail itself)

I get batches of email almost every day that list unknown for date, from and To the subjet is always listed as No Subject, body is empty. i get lots of these every day. i have even had test messages i send do this. this is running on a seriously fast system(dual xeon 3.0G with 3gigs of ram) with a journaling file system (reiserfs) on U320 scsi drives. system seldomly shows a load above .03 yet mail is dissapearing and im stuck with something i cant even resolve.

I will be migrating everything to cpanel shortly. I love everything about plesk except qmail and that alone is going to be why i drop plesk. Give me postfix or watch me migrate to cpanel.

This is totally unacceptable.Qmail is causing me to look at all my other options, goodbye plesk, hello Cpanel. I hate being forced to do anything but when mail is being lost i left with no choice. :mad:

Back