• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the next Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Plesk 10.4.4 error reporting and open_basedir issues

P

pantamedia

Just last monday I finally upgraded from 10.3 to 10.4.4. Now I am experiencing some strange behaviour with some sites but not with all. phpinfo() also reports different PHP settings, depending on if I saved settings for a domain or not. Sites where I have not changed anything, most (if not all) settings are the way we expect them and the site behaves like we expect it to. The behavious I expect are:

- when I enable display_errors, I expect errors to be displayed in the pages if any occurred
- when I disable them I expect no errors to be displayed
- when I set display_errors to default I expect the server wide settings to be applied (not 500 errors to be thrown)

Apparently sites where I had to change something in the domain settings and applied these, some or most PHP settings on the PHP setting tab are also applied. Now I am not 10% sure if this really is Plesk or that I changed something in the settings without remembering but some of these settings seem to now interfere and some of our sites are not working properly.

For one, the default server settings for open_basedir are set to {DOCROOT}/ now, if I haven't saved the PHP settings for a certain domain, open_basedir has "no value" however when I change and save any PHP setting the open_basedir is also set and set to {DOCROOT}/ and I can't disable this even though the php.ini file does not hold an open_basedir. Setting open_basedir to Default seems to be the same as setting it to {DOCROOT}/ How can I change this so open_basedir is empty/disabled/has no value?

I have a couple of sites that always throws 500 errors whenever display_errors is set to On (either in Plesk for the domain or in php.ini) when a warning, notice, error or anything error related occurs. Instead of the expected Warning: .... or Error: .... I get a 500 error for example. For some other site, with exactly the same settings (it appears) the errors are properly displayed. Is there something I can do to make the error messages visible again instead of the 500 error?

Sorry for the long post, it could have been longer but I decided to only report the most pressing matters, but if someone could please help me with this... eternal gratitude would be yours in case I can get any further or even solved.

RE: 500 Errors

make or modify your web.config file in the httpdocs folder of the site having the issue..
add this code: (if you already have the system.webServer wrapper, don't duplicate it, just put the inner lines)

<system.webServer>
<asp scriptErrorSentToBrowser="true"/>
<httpErrors errorMode="Detailed"/>
</system.webServer>

..then try your site again - it should show the appropriate error now instead of the 500 generic. **DONT LEAVE THIS AS DEFAULT** it's a security risk. turn off the feature or comment out the code when you're done debugging the site.

RE: open_basedir values

they're stored in the Windows Registry. If you want null, you have to delete the value there, and for now it seems, keep going back in and re-deleting them *every time* PLESK panel resets itself.

Back