• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 10.4.4 MX/DNS Bug after 10.3.1 upgrade

Red Paint

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

We've set up a subdomain "subdomain.example.com" with MX records pointing to an external email service. We've created an email account "[email protected]" which forwards email to [email protected].

Email should then pick up the MX records on the subdomain and send this email on its merry way. This worked fine in 10.3.1.

After upgrading with exactly the same setup the maillog shows:

Jan 23 18:25:24 plesk postfix/qmgr[24556]: 4DB7860C3D: from=<[email protected]>, size=2874, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Jan 23 18:25:24 plesk postfix-local[16225]: postfix-local: [email protected], [email protected], dirname=/var/qmail/mailnames
Jan 23 18:25:24 plesk postfix/pickup[24555]: 7859C611BF: uid=110 from=<[email protected]>
Jan 23 18:25:24 plesk postfix/cleanup[12366]: 7859C611BF: message-id=<92BB26AE6F388C4DA10732547545941BA79797E429@asdf>
Jan 23 18:25:24 plesk postfix/qmgr[24556]: 7859C611BF: from=<[email protected]>, size=3296, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Jan 23 18:25:24 plesk postfix-local[16230]: postfix-local: [email protected], [email protected], dirname=/var/qmail/mailnames
Jan 23 18:25:24 plesk postfix-local[16230]: cannot chdir to mailname dir client: No such file or directory
Jan 23 18:25:24 plesk postfix-local[16230]: Unknown user: [email protected]
Jan 23 18:25:24 plesk postfix/pipe[8357]: 7859C611BF: to=<[email protected]>, relay=plesk_virtual, delay=0.02, delays=0.02/0/0/0, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via plesk_virtual service)
Jan 23 18:25:24 plesk postfix/qmgr[24556]: 7859C611BF: removed

So to recap, this worked in 10.3.1 but fails in 10.4.4, we're using Postfix (as you can see) as our MTA and running CentOS 6.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Can anyone at Parallels point to a possible solution?

Thanks
Andy

Hello Igor,

The update to 10.4.4 from 10.3.1 took place on 2012-01-20 and the subdomain stopped forwarding to external MX records. Here are the steps we took before reporting this as a bug:

- reconfigure mail settings with mchk
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk --with-spam
# /etc/init.d/pc-remote restart
# /etc/init.d/postfix restart

# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/dnsmng --update domain.com
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/httpdmng --reconfigure-domain domain.com

- Removed and re-added the subdomain

To reproduce this bug
- add a subdomain "subdomain.example.com" with DNS zone in master mode.
- point MX records to an external server "mx1.externalserver.com"
- create an email address at main domain "[email protected]"
- forward email sent to "[email protected]" to "[email protected]"

If you do this you should find the 10.4.4 maillog displays messages as in my original message. External mx records are never checked and the email never leaves the server.

This was working in 10.3.1 so something has disrupted this in 10.4.4.

Thanks
Andy

Thank you for detailed report and steps to reproduce. I have forwarded it to developers. Let's wait their answer.

Can confirm the same issue.

I have mailbox setup on exampledomain.com, I set this to forward all mail to newdomain.com hosted on the same server which has MX records set to send to Google Apps account.

External emails to newdomain.com work great

Mails forwarded from exampledomain.com error with postfix-local[19417]: cannot chdir to mailname dir user: No such file or directory

It seems MX records are not being interrogated and mail tries to transfer to another internal mailbox only

Big problem for the domains I host

Thank you for detailed report and steps to reproduce. I have forwarded it to developers. Let's wait their answer.
Hi, IgorG. Did you get any answer about this issue? I'm having exactly the same problem since 10.4.4 upgrade.

Bugs have been submitted and should be fixed soon. According to developers:

There is no workaround for missing records if record host equal existing subdomain's host. So customers need to repair such DNS themself. After DNS is fixed execution of CLI command for switch off mailservice for the subdomain:
# /usr/local/psa/bin/domain -u subdomain.domain.tld -mail_service false
will make their postfix workable.

Thanks for the update.
Oh! almost forgot to disable mail service for the subdomain, thanks again!

# /usr/local/psa/bin/domain -i subdomain.example.com | grep "Mail service"
Mail service: On
# /usr/local/psa/bin/domain -u subdomain.example.com -mail_service false
# /usr/local/psa/bin/domain -i subdomain.example.com | grep "Mail service"
Mail service: Off

It's working perfectly, still waiting for dns to propagate.
The only problem was all dns hosts were lost, so it took a time to recreate all dns entries.
Regards ;-)

Want to do the 10.4.4 Update-getting same error

I want to do the update but I have no idea whats going to get killed in the process. I have a subdomain named: store.dryheatembroidery.com that is under the main domain in DNS. It seems like this issue is the same as what I might experience and I want to know what can be done before the upgrade to correct my issue. this is the result of the suggested sql inquiry:

| dns_zone_id | type | host | val | opt |
+-------------+------+------------------------------+--------------+-----+
| 8 | A | store.dryheatembroidery.com. | 74.208.65.92 | |
+-------------+------+------------------------------+--------------+-----+

Am I supposed to make this a domain on it's own? I guess I'm Plesk stupid because I don't understand what to do based on this error. I can follow directions, but this article doesn't even hint at how to fix it!

WARNING: There are customized DNS records with host equal host of existing subdomain, they will lost after upgrade to Plesk version above 10.4.4. Check http://kb.parallels.com/en/113310 for more details.

Hi, MattCaz.
I think it's easy.
Imagine you have a domain example.com created in plesk.
One day you created a dns entry inside that domain: shop.example.com
One month later, you created an independent domain inside plesk called shop.example.com
So now you have 2 hostings plans (subscriptions), one for the domain "example.com" and one for the domain "shop.example.com"
The "problem" is that each of these domains has its own DNS zones, so you have an A record inside "example.com" zone called "shop.example.com" and also have a record with the same name for the "shop.example.com" zone.

If you have a master zones for "shop.example.com", you don't need "example.com" resolving for it, so you can edit "example.com" zones and delete "shop.example.com" record. This way, the only "shop.example.com" existing will be inside "shop.example.com" zone.

Parallels is telling us that in the previous example, "shop.example.com" will be deleted from "example.com" zone, as it already exists in its own zone.

If you want, you can delete the record "store.dryheatembroidery.com" from the "dryheatembroidery.com" zone, as you'll already have a subdomain created for "store.dryheatembroidery.com".

Hope you can understand my samples :-S

Eduardo,
Thanks for the reply.. the problem is, I don't have store.dryheatembroidery.com added as a seperate subscription/domain. The only place it's added is under the domain dryheatemboidery.com with an A record..
could the issue be that I have a CNAME resolving to store.dryheatembroidery. my zone file is shown below:
-------------
*.webmail.dryheatembroidery.com. CNAME dryheatembroidery.com.
74.208.65.92 / 24 PTR dryheatembroidery.com.
dryheatembroidery.com. NS ns1.dryheatembroidery.com.
dryheatembroidery.com. NS ns2.dryheatembroidery.com.
dryheatembroidery.com. A 74.208.65.92
dryheatembroidery.com. MX (10) mail.dryheatembroidery.com.
ftp.dryheatembroidery.com. CNAME dryheatembroidery.com.
mail.dryheatembroidery.com. A 74.208.65.92
ns1.dryheatembroidery.com. A 74.208.65.92
ns2.dryheatembroidery.com. A 74.208.65.92
shop.dryheatembroidery.com. CNAME store.dryheatembroidery.com.
store.dryheatembroidery.com. A 74.208.65.92
webmail.dryheatembroidery.com. A 74.208.65.92
www.dryheatembroidery.com. CNAME dryheatembroidery.com.
www.shop.dryheatembroidery.com. CNAME store.dryheatembroidery.com.
www.store.dryheatembroidery.com. CNAME store.dryheatembroidery.com.

Do you have a "store.dryheatembroidery.com" subdomain?
If so, go to "websites & domains" tab, and click on "DNS Settings" icon and you'll see all zones under that domain.
You should have a "dryheatembroidery.com" row saying "DNS zone is in master mode"
You may have another row for "store.dryheatembroidery.com" so you can manage this zone too.
If this is the case, you'll be having two operlapping zones, the "dryheatembroidery.com" domain zone that includes the store.dryheatembroidery.com record and the "store.dryheatembroidery.com" subdomain zone that also includes "store.dryheatembroidery.com" record.

Is that the case?

Eduardo,
DryHeatembroidery.com is the master for the DNS.. but what I did find is this entry at the bottom of the websites/domains tab under DOMAINS:

dryheatembroidery.com Website at httpdocs

store.dryheatembroidery.com Website at subdomains/store/httpdocs

I'm thinking that if I have an A record in the DNS, I may not need this entry under domains for this.

So it looks like you have two dns zones, one for dryheatembroidery.com and one for store.dryheatembroidery.com
And both of them have a host for "store.dryheatembroidery.com"
If I'm right, "store.dryheatembroidery.com" entries should be removed from domain zone and leave it in subdomain zone.

So it looks like you have two dns zones, one for dryheatembroidery.com and one for store.dryheatembroidery.com
And both of them have a host for "store.dryheatembroidery.com"
If I'm right, "store.dryheatembroidery.com" entries should be removed from domain zone and leave it in subdomain zone.

I removed the A record from the master and now my store isn't accessable. But the upgrade error message went away. I put the A record back in and I'm waiting for my store to come back up.

Well, found the problem's location, hehe
That A record should not be in the domain zone, but in the subdomain zone.
Can you enable master DNS zone for the subdomain? That way, store will be responsible from its own subdomain's dns zone

Well, found the problem's location, hehe
That A record should not be in the domain zone, but in the subdomain zone.
Can you enable master DNS zone for the subdomain? That way, store will be responsible from its own subdomain's dns zone

Well, my store finally came back up. There is no dns zone for the subdomain (where do I find that? Should the subdomain have been added as a domain..ie: add new domain, store.dryheatembroidery.com) , just A record and CNames for the subdomain. I do hosting tech support and DNS zones are not foreign to me, but this Plesk thing has me baffled. I guess I'll just avoid the upgrade to 10.4 for now.. thanks for your time and effort on my behalf. I sincerely appreciate it!

matt

I'll try to explain, even I don't know you exact configuration.
From the "Websites & Domains" tab, I click on "DNS Settings"
Here I see two lines, my main domain and my subdomain
Main domain will (would) always be in Master Mode
Subdomain should be also in master mode for its own zone, but it could be turned off in your case.
Check my two screenshots (Thanks, plesk demo!) and tell me if your subdomain dns zone is in master mode or if it's turned off

Attachments

• plesk_01.png
    plesk_01.png
    36 KB · Views: 17
  • plesk_02.png
    plesk_02.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 16
I'll try to explain, even I don't know you exact configuration.
From the "Websites & Domains" tab, I click on "DNS Settings"
Here I see two lines, my main domain and my subdomain
Main domain will (would) always be in Master Mode
Subdomain should be also in master mode for its own zone, but it could be turned off in your case.
Check my two screenshots (Thanks, plesk demo!) and tell me if your subdomain dns zone is in master mode or if it's turned off

I'm on 10.3.1 and don't ever see that screen. I have attached a link to a screenshot of what I see. I can't thank you enough for wasting your time on me.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-whUtvX6wTmA/T0UrWvHb9qI/AAAAAAAADZw/7t03sxZdk-0/s576/pleskscreenshot.jpg

Please, click on the "DNS Settings" showed in that screen, 2nd row, 2nd column, under "file manager", next to "FTP Access" and show me the next screen. (see attached)

Attachments

• plesk_03.png
    plesk_03.png
    222.4 KB · Views: 25
Back